Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign Films

Options
  • 02-10-2014 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

Lately, I have really gotten into my foreign films. I love the sound of a different language and subtitles don't really bother, plus you can learn about another culture in a passive/fun way.

My favourite German film is; Goodbye Lenin directed by Wolfgang Becker. It is such an interesting insight into the divide in Berlin and the eventual liberation. Really loved it, one of the most unique films I have seen.

The French film I really enjoyed was ' A very long engagement", but anything with Audrey Tautou is good! Of course, I loved Amelie and the Coco Chanel drama biography.

Over the weekend I am going to watch Bicycling with Moliere. Hope it is good :)

So fellow film fanatics, which foreign film has tickled your fancy? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Kobe

Some of my favourite are "a separation" (Iranian), "a beautiful life" (Italian), "love letter" (Japanese), "internal affair" (Hong Kong), and much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

I didn't find 'a beautiful life' that great, maybe because it is so atmospheric and picturesque rather than story line based. I watched it when I was super tired and a tiny bit tipsy though so I am willing to give it another chance! It is a favourite movie of a friend of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

danslevent wrote: »
    I didn't find 'a beautiful life' that great, maybe because it is so atmospheric and picturesque rather than story line based. I watched it when I was super tired and a tiny bit tipsy though so I am willing to give it another chance! It is a favourite movie of a friend of mine.

Really, rather than story based? It's essentially a tragic comedy - lots of story in it. :confused:

daUbiq wrote: »
    Really, rather than story based? It's essentially a tragic comedy - lots of story in it. :confused:

Heh! Oops! I was thinking of this for some reason

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2358891/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Such a big question. Even if I list 5 films by country I'd feel I wasn't even scratching the surface.

What type of films do you like and from what region have you enjoyed films before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Netflix is excellent for foreign films. Id really recommend films such as the secret in their eyes, Downfall, Four months three weeks and two days. There's soo many!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

winter light by bergman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

German Films are really good. Die Welle, Das leben der Andern, Das Boot, Auf der andern Seit(on the Other side) are all really good. German films need to say, what an English speaking film is too cautious to say and they are far more raw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

hundreds of foreign films to choose from

french, italian, asian. check out the killer by john woo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

English speaking fims are "foreign" to the majority of the world so we're the real foreigners. World cinema is unimaginably vast, delightfully diverse and unfettered by preconceived committee produced waffle. Dive in, anything recommended by English speaking audiences will be in most cases vastly more interesting and stimulating than the majority of what the average english speaking cinema goer / movie renter is exposed to.

11 wide ranging ones off the top of my head to start you off:
    The Lives of Others
    La Haine
    Timecrimes
    Let the Right One In
    Caché
    Un prophète
    Trollhunter
    13 Tzameti
    I Saw the Devil
    Intacto
    Storm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Yep, bunching everything in together as foreign is a bit of a bad way to approach it. A film can be in another language and be otherwise highly similar to releases from the US. Perhaps try out a few things from a few different areas, lots of countries have tendencies toward different genres and approaches, that way you can find a sort of entry point through the most immediately appealing aesthetics. There'd be no real need to dive into the outright classics either (e.g. for Japan I'd probably recommend Koreeda to someone before Ozu, that kind of thing. Liking Koreeda could then lead itself naturally toward Ozu, that kind of thing.).

I'd say the ones you've listed there are ones with a fairly high level of appeal to western(western? English-speaking, anyways) audiences. So I'm gonna list a few that are generally fairly popular, I think some of them are great and others I'm not so keen on (*cough*LifeIsBeautiful*cough*) but sure it'd be worth checking the names to see which tickle your fancy cos they're all pretty easy watches imo:
    Cinema Paradiso - Italy - 1989 (you've probably already seen this one? If not, check out the shorter version)
    Let the Right One In - Sweden - 2008
    Life is Beautiful - Italy - 1997
    La Haine - France - 1995
    Pan's Labyrinth - Spain - 2006
    City of God - Brazil - 2002
    Das Boot - Germany - 1985
    Y Tu Mama Tambien - Mexico - 2001
    Jean De Florette - France - 1985
    Hero - China (I think?) - 2003
    Wings of Desire - Germany - 1989
    The Killer - Hong Kong - 1989
    In the Mood for Love - Hong Kong - 2000
    Volver - Spain - 2006
    A Separation - Iran - 2010
    Downfall - Germany - 2004
    Oldboy - South Korea - 2003
    The Lives of Others - Germany - 2006

I added the years and countries afterwards there, would be stunned if they're all correct, but the should be in the general vicinity of correct :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Miss Lizzie Jones

The French film I really enjoyed was ' A very long engagement", but anything with Audrey Tautou is good! Of course, I loved Amelie and the Coco Chanel drama biography.

My favourite is Amelie. :)

Yep, bunching everything in together as foreign is a bit of a bad way to approach it. A film can be in another language and be otherwise highly similar to releases from the US. Perhaps try out a few things from a few different areas, lots of countries have tendencies toward different genres and approaches, that way you can find a sort of entry point through the most immediately appealing aesthetics. There'd be no real need to dive into the outright classics either (e.g. for Japan I'd probably recommend Koreeda to someone before Ozu, that kind of thing. Liking Koreeda could then lead itself naturally toward Ozu, that kind of thing.).

I'd say the ones you've listed there are ones with a fairly high level of appeal to western(western? English-speaking, anyways) audiences. So I'm gonna list a few that are generally fairly popular, I think some of them are great and others I'm not so keen on (*cough*LifeIsBeautiful*cough*) but sure it'd be worth checking the names to see which tickle your fancy cos they're all pretty easy watches imo:
    Cinema Paradiso - Italy - 1989 (you've probably already seen this one? If not, check out the shorter version)
    Let the Right One In - Sweden - 2008
    Life is Beautiful - Italy - 1997
    La Haine - France - 1995
    Pan's Labyrinth - Spain - 2006
    City of God - Brazil - 2002
    Das Boot - Germany - 1985
    Y Tu Mama Tambien - Mexico - 2001
    Jean De Florette - France - 1985
    Hero - China (I think?) - 2003
    Wings of Desire - Germany - 1989
    The Killer - Hong Kong - 1989
    In the Mood for Love - Hong Kong - 2000
    Volver - Spain - 2006
    A Separation - Iran - 2010
    Downfall - Germany - 2004
    Oldboy - South Korea - 2003
    The Lives of Others - Germany - 2006

I added the years and countries afterwards there, would be stunned if they're all correct, but the should be in the general vicinity of correct :D

Thank you!

Yeah, I felt a little ignorant writing an umbrella term of "foreign films' (don't you automatically hear foreign in a thick Irish accent, foredn) since they're all different genres, just holding true to only one aspect; not being in English.

Will definitely check a lot of these out, busy weekend ahead :P :)

Advertisement