Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eBay Gloabl Shipping Program and Irish VAT

Options
  • 02-10-2014 8:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi, Could anyone clarify if the eBay GSP means that no VAT is payable on an import to Ireland from the US, i.e. that the VAT estimate is included in the GSP amount.

Or is it that the GSP just speeds up customs clearance and just covers excise / duty / carrier fees and then subsequently reveneu send you a VAT bill based on the purchase prices + transport fees + GSP fee?

I'm thinking of buying a laptop from the states - about €1K incl. eBay GSP - would be about €1.2K in EU but if the VAT is charged on top of the purchase price + GSP it doesn't seem worthwhile.

anyone have experience of this - thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

I haven't used the Ebay GSP service, but I have used the Amazon.com one, which I assume is similar

With the Amazon program all the VAT was pre-paid and all the customs clearance was taken care of.

You really have to ask yourself whether it is worth saving 200 by buying from the US when you have virtually no rights compared to the rights in the EU and that you would be totally at the mercy of the manufacturer if something goes wrong with the laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jc1001

jahalpin wrote: »
    I haven't used the Ebay GSP service, but I have used the Amazon.com one, which I assume is similar

With the Amazon program all the VAT was pre-paid and all the customs clearance was taken care of.

You really have to ask yourself whether it is worth saving 200 by buying from the US when you have virtually no rights compared to the rights in the EU and that you would be totally at the mercy of the manufacturer if something goes wrong with the laptop

Thanks for the sage advice jahalpin. Did the Amazon equivalent service provide a VAT receipt also? This is a business purchase and I am wondering if the VAT can be offset for revenue purposes.

I'd welcome any other responses from any users who have exp of eBay GSP.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I've used it a few times - you pay everything when you check out on ebay so no charges when it gets to ireland.

Advertisement