Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone got an LED upgrade kit for mini maglites?

Options
  • 01-10-2014 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Any retailers or sources for the above?

regards
    Stovepipe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

They are on Amazon UK. Not exactly cheap in comparison to the original price of the torch.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/s/ref=is_box_?k=mini+maglite+conversion+kit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I looked at the Nite Ize kit from a US source and they wanted $79 to ship it!...might have a go at Amazon. just doing a conversion to use up an old mini mag, rather than chuck it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I'm getting well p!ssed off the maglite LED mini's I have several and they are all crap as far as I am concerned. There seems to be something that corrodes and causes them to flicker a few seconds after switching on which at its worst changes the mode so they can then go dim, flash or start doing SOS in morse code.

Just read this post as I was about to sit down with one and try and get to the bottom of the problem with the worst one I have just been using. We've got three and they all suffer the same way some worse than others. This might be the issue but I'm not sure http://www.maglite.com/pdf/CustServ/Mini%20Maglite%20LED%20FAQ5222007805552.pdf as mine look very different internally.

/rant over sorry didn't want to take your thread off topic Stovepipe.

If you want a maglite mini LED then they are about £20 (both AA and AAA) on Amazon.co.uk and free delivery with orders over £20. Then keep the old one with a filament bulb in case of an EMP attack which will fry everything with electronics in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

I got mine on eBay have 6 conversation led kits and tail push buttons never a problem with them . In saying that they are not used very often mostly just tested a few times a year as they are attached to everyone s bed side locker in case of a power cut

I think I've worked out the problem with the maglite LED mini's I have.

The screw thread for the end cap is anodised as is the internal thread it screws into and afaik the anodising isn't conductive. I ran a hack saw blade lightly around the thread on the cap and used a sharpened bent nail to chase around the thread on the main tube to and the problem seems to be fixed.

Update ... been out with it and left it on for 15 mins of our dogs walk and its a different torch that doesn't flicker on and off anymore. Must do the others now.

• Advertisement

Well, I got the NiteIze kit for the mini maglite (switch and led) for about a tenner Sterling, shipped in a week. Took a while to fit as I managed to drop a tiny contact off the switch, because I cleverly didn't follow the instructions to the letter. Once I fixed that, it worked and it's much, much brighter than the original. We'll see how long it lasts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Just looking for an update on this Stovepipe, are you happy with the upgrade and where did you get the kit from if you would recommend it?

Hi, Tab
    Well, it still works fine. I got it from a crowd in the UK, called Torches.com or something simple like that. Not overly gone on the tail switch, as it can be easily switched off by accident but it's still working away. I also got LEDs for the big 2 cell maglite but the light cone from them is not good. You get a very bright central core and a wide, dimmer outer ring, which is offputting, which cannot be adjusted by the fairly clumsy head.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Cheaper to just buy a modern LED torch... Keep those old (mini) maglites as souvenirs / ornaments / cash stashes.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Cheaper to just buy a modern LED torch... Keep those old (mini) maglites as souvenirs / ornaments / cash stashes.

And just in case what some say about EMP is true (an EMP attack over Ireland - nuke exploded high in the atmosphere - will destroy most if not all electronics and LED's are electronic).

• Advertisement

buy candles...

Stovepipe wrote: »
    buy candles...

Eat candles! :S

Not your ornery onager

my3cents wrote: »
    And just in case what some say about EMP is true (an EMP attack over Ireland - nuke exploded high in the atmosphere - will destroy most if not all electronics and LED's are electronic).

'They' have other ways of creating an EMP nowadays. Much more localised, and 'cleaner'. :eek: :D

Not your ornery onager

I bought a new torch from a hardware shop in Naas, 15 euros, Cree LED, 240 lumens, alloy body, three aaa batteries in the usual holder in the body.Knurled grip and buried rubber on-off switch. Continuous or strobing operation. generic make, no obvious name of manufacturer.

Advertisement