Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about dropping out of college

Options
  • 01-10-2014 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi guys, I'm currently in first year in college. I did not get the course I wanted this year so I'm reapplying to the CAO this year and still doing the first year of my course. Say I get offered the course I wanted next year and I drop out of my current course, what will be the consequences bar 1 year wasted?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

You'll have to pay full fees for the first year of your new course, but once you go into second year you won't have to pay fees. Also if you get the grant, you won't get it next year, as you would essentially be repeating first year, but once you go into second year of the new course you could get it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

Hi guys, I'm currently in first year in college. I did not get the course I wanted this year so I'm reapplying to the CAO this year and still doing the first year of my course. Say I get offered the course I wanted next year and I drop out of my current course, what will be the consequences bar 1 year wasted?

If you drop out before a certain date in Janurary, half your Student Contribution will be refunded and you will still qualify for Free Fees in your next year. The fees you would have to pay were you to not drop out until June are in addition to the Student Contribution and are what EU nationals (who have not been resident in Ireland) have to pay - in universities, about €3k-€8k depending on your course. I imagine you coul still attend lectures and go to society events if you drop out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

If you drop out before a certain date in Janurary, half your Student Contribution will be refunded and you will still qualify for Free Fees in your next year. The fees you would have to pay were you to not drop out until June are in addition to the Student Contribution and are what EU nationals (who have not been resident in Ireland) have to pay - in universities, about €3k-€8k depending on your course. I imagine you coul still attend lectures and go to society events if you drop out.

I made a mistake in the above: if you withdraw before the end of January you'll be required to pay half of the Tuition Fees in the first year of your new course.

Advertisement