Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject change because of bad teacher

Options
  • 01-10-2014 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I have been doing economics for 4 weeks now but I have the chance to change to business. According to others, my economics teacher would be about a 2 or 3/10 while the business teacher would be a 8 or 9/10.
    I prefer the subject economics over business but down the road the better teacher could mean more points in the leaving cert. My economics teacher teaches from the book, explains it in her own words, and moves on. She doesnt really give notes. I dont know what to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

My advice is go with the subject you prefer, I can't see any advantage to studying a subject you don't like because of the teacher.
    Surely you'll do better in subject you enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ronan998

I dont hate business, I wouldn't mind doing it. I just have a small preference for economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Why are you basing your opinion of the economics teacher on other people's opinions? What do you think? Sure, it doesn't sound like the most riveting class in the world, I don't know much about economics so I don't know if it could be taught differently or be made more interesting, but do you understand what is going on and are you interested in the material?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

If you enjoy economics then just teach yourself the Syllabus. Use the economics class as a well deserved rest during the day.

When I look at what economics is about, I really like the concepts, such as the banks. To be honest, my gut is telling me economics. I feel that If I put in my own work along with the classes, I can do well down the line when the leaving cert comes along. I do think a good grade would be easier to achieve with the business, but as i said, I think I want to do economics. There is good craic in the class as well.
    My sister also did economics and has a lot of good notes from about 2years ago. Also my dad told me I could get grinds if i wanted at in 6th year. (possibly at the end of 5th year.)
    Any advice you guys have is really appreciated.

• Advertisement

Ronan998 wrote: »
    When I look at what economics is about, I really like the concepts, such as the banks. To be honest, my gut is telling me economics. I feel that If I put in my own work along with the classes, I can do well down the line when the leaving cert comes along. I do think a good grade would be easier to achieve with the business, but as i said, I think I want to do economics. There is good craic in the class as well.
    My sister also did economics and has a lot of good notes from about 2years ago. Also my dad told me I could get grinds if i wanted at in 6th year. (possibly at the end of 5th year.)
    Any advice you guys have is really appreciated.

Quoting a person doesn't notify a person about the thread, they have to follow the thread for notifications. Anyway....

Class shouldn't really be about the craic.

Ok, what do you thonk about my other points?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

If your class is a good craic, consider leaving
    Economics can get very specific and if you can't concentrate you won't understand
    I've had this problem and it's just pure annoying

Ok, what do you thonk about my other points?

When you say craic, is it just a free for all chaotic environment or are you able to work and concentrate?

When you say craic, is it just a free for all chaotic environment or are you able to work and concentrate?

Oh the class still gets work done. What i mean is there is a good kind of morale in the class.
    People are willing to learn and listen. It is not a free for all.

• Advertisement

Oh the class still gets work done. What i mean is there is a good kind of morale in the class.
    People are willing to learn and listen. It is not a free for all.

Well that's a completely different story. If you are able to learn and there is good morale and you prefer the subject to business, then maybe you are better off sticking with economics.

Advertisement