Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW E46 320D Losing Power

Options
  • 01-10-2014 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

Hi guys. Sorry if there is already a thread about this.

I bought a 2003 BMW SE 320D last week. The car had seemed to be running fine until I was driving on the motorway. I tried to accelerate past 80MPH and car suddenly lost power and barely had enough power to stay at 60MPH with my foot to the floor. The next time I turned it on the power had returned and was fine again until I went back on the motorway. Same problem again as I went to accelerate past 80MPH again. At the next roundabout I turned the car off and on again and the power was back once again.

No lights came on in the dash and no smell from the engine and I don't think there was any smoke from the back either. Car had swirl flaps removed and new breather put in by previous owner and only done about 6,000 miles in the past year according to the NCT cert.

I really would appreciate any help or info on what to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

It's just the car letting you know your breaking the speed limit, which is 120kmh (75mph)

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

One possibility is that the turbo is over-boosting and this is being detected by the ECU which puts the car into "limp home mode". Switching off the ignition cancels this signal so the car is back to normal at the next start. The over-boost could be caused by a sticking actuation lever.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭burke027

Is it a auto r manual firstly

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭square ball

Cheers lads. Manual. showing up a few fault codes. 4521 manifold pressure sensor, 4507 exhaust gas recirculation and 4530 charge air pressure control.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

Cheers lads. Manual. showing up a few fault codes. 4521 manifold pressure sensor, 4507 exhaust gas recirculation and 4530 charge air pressure control.

Could be turbo over-boost alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭square ball

How would you fix it?

Advertisement