Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC History - 5th year Newbie

Options
  • 30-09-2014 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

We picked our subjects a few weeks ago and I have to say I'm finding history a bit difficult. Got an A in the JC, but this seems to be a different kettle of fish altogether! I'm having trouble coming up with a decent answer to questions and analysing the events of let's say, The Easter Rising of 1916 in detail.

It's early days yet, but I want to get myself used to the course.

If anyone has any advice they could dispense, it will be greatly appreciated. I just want to know how do I go about studying for History and getting myself out of this Junior Cert mindset.

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

soniaxox wrote: »
    We picked our subjects a few weeks ago and I have to say I'm finding history a bit difficult. Got an A in the JC, but this seems to be a different kettle of fish altogether! I'm having trouble coming up with a decent answer to questions and analysing the events of let's say, The Easter Rising of 1916 in detail.

It's early days yet, but I want to get myself used to the course.

If anyone has any advice they could dispense, it will be greatly appreciated. I just want to know how do I go about studying for History and getting myself out of this Junior Cert mindset.

Thanks guys!
    First - on the Easter Rising - have a look at the other history thread on this page.

As regards the difference between JC and LC - yes there is a difference. JC is pretty much the who, what, when and where - LC is the how and the why.

In LC you will have to learn research, note-taking, essay writing, analytical skills etc. It is about reading and understanding the essay question and then using the information you have to answer the question. Some students who are used to rote-learning can struggle a bit until they begin to learn the new skills needed. Now this is a two year process and nobody expects a student a few weeks into LC to be able to write a perfect essay. Try your best, read and listen to the advice of your teacher, ask lots of questions and practice. The more essays you write the better you will get at it (if you go into the process with the intent of doing your best and not just going through the motions). The skills you learn in LC history will be beneficial in any course you consider doing in further education.

Advertisement