Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Setting up a club-night + booking DJ's!

Options
  • 30-09-2014 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi, first time poster and I'm going to get straight to it..

Question 1:
    Setting up a clubnight in a local venue where there is a huge demand for house and techno.
    I have my brand, crowd and venue sorted. The venue charges a small fee for using it but supplies the sound, lighting and staging. I also have my resident DJ's and promotional stuff sorted.

So, apart from the small fee's for the venue and ticket sellers, can anyone tell me if there are other hidden costs or things I am leaving out?

Question 2:
    Considering there are no fees other than the venue and ticket sellers AND I have my brand, crowd, resident DJ's and promotional stuff (flyers/facebook etc) all sorted I think the night could be run smoothly and a possible profit made.

So with that, the big question...
    After running a few nights I would like to build up a savings from the profits and eventually get in a guest DJ but this is where I fall down, I have no idea what is involved in getting a DJ form another country to come to the venue and play a DJ set so I am seeking all the information I can, starting with the basics.

For the record, the night could run well without getting in occasional guest DJ's as I am not worried about profit at all, I just think it would be a great experience but if it turns out to be a lot of hassle I think i will do without.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Bassment

Bassment wrote: »
    After running a few nights I would like to build up a savings from the profits and eventually get in a guest DJ but this is where I fall down, I have no idea what is involved in getting a DJ form another country to come to the venue and play a DJ set so I am seeking all the information I can, starting with the basics.

Wouldn't let me edit, but by guest DJ's I meant names like Maya Jane Coles, Jamie xx, Detroit Swindle. How do I even go about booking them, what costs are involved, what work is involved, how much do names like these cost, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

Its easy, google them, phone up the agent. You are getting ahead of yourself though. Get the night set up first and see how you go. Good luck. There was a rake of promoters ten years ago but seems very quiet now in Dublin outside if the big 'uns

• Registered Users Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Get into the social networking a bit more, set up a Facebook page of your club night, join as many techno/dance groups scattered about and spread your link. Most DJs have Facebook pages so you can usually write on their wall or pm them. Aim for fairly well known Irish DJs first folk like Sunil Sharpe, Shane Linnane, Fish Go Deep, Sh1t Robot support these guys and I'm sure you will build up contacts through them too or recommendations. Good luck with this anyway, you wouldn't happen to be based in Athlone by any chance?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Bassment

Get into the social networking a bit more, set up a Facebook page of your club night, join as many techno/dance groups scattered about and spread your link. Most DJs have Facebook pages so you can usually write on their wall or pm them. Aim for fairly well known Irish DJs first folk like Sunil Sharpe, Shane Linnane, Fish Go Deep, Sh1t Robot support these guys and I'm sure you will build up contacts through them too or recommendations. Good luck with this anyway, you wouldn't happen to be based in Athlone by any chance?

Will definitely check these out, thanks! Nope, not based in Athlone sorry, but in the Meath area!

Advertisement