Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a new Samsung Galaxy s3 in Ireland

Options
  • 30-09-2014 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Im looking to get the s3 new in Ireland. I'd much rather deal with a shop than someone over the internet (unless its the official site). I cant find any service providers that have the s3 for sale. Any help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

S3 is oldddddddddddd at this stage .......would you not go upmarket a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭sw33t_r3v3ng3

Zipppy wrote: »
    S3 is oldddddddddddd at this stage .......would you not go upmarket a bit?

Can't afford it tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Can't afford it tbh!

You would be better served getting a new midrange phone that and 3 year old flagship.

• Advertisement

beno619 wrote: »
    You would be better served getting a new midrange phone that and 3 year old flagship.

But as i said, money is the issue

I'm not so sure. I had a Note (n7000) until very recently and had no issues with it. I'd still be using it, if I hadn't smashed the screen. Not everybody needs the latest specs, and for €250 the S3 is still a good buy IMHO. The Moto G is worth a look and is cheaper, but the camera quality can't touch a Samsung.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

But as i said, money is the issue

What's your budget? new midrange would be around the same price as that gs3.
    I'm not so sure. I had a Note (n7000) until very recently and had no issues with it. I'd still be using it, if I hadn't smashed the screen. Not everybody needs the latest specs, and for €250 the S3 is still a good buy IMHO. The Moto G is worth a look and is cheaper, but the camera quality can't touch a Samsung.

All personal preference I guess, I wouldn't purchase a 3 year old device. I'd also regard the Note series way higher than the S.

What would you suggest for €250?

What's your budget? new midrange would be around the same price as that gs3.

All personal preference I guess, I wouldn't purchase a 3 year old device. I'd also regard the Note series way higher than the S.

€250, but €270-€280 would be the limit of my budget. Would you get a new note for that price?

• Advertisement

€250, but €270-€280 would be the limit of my budget. Would you get a new note for that price?

No. My point was that I was using a four year old phone.

Actually, Amazon still has them for £225!

Look at recent models first though, see how they compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭G1032

Do you absolutely have to have a new phone? Would you try the second hand market? There'll be a few up for sale no doubt with the Xperia Z3 released in Ireland only a few days ago and the Note 4 on the way?

G1032 wrote: »
    Do you absolutely have to have a new phone? Would you try the second hand market? There'll be a few up for sale no doubt with the Xperia Z3 released in Ireland only a few days ago and the Note 4 on the way?

I'd much rather buy new than second hand. I'd consider second hand if it was a fantastic phone fairly new.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭dubrov

The Nexus 6 will probably be announced in two weeks.

The Nexus 5 is likely to drop to about €200 at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

S3 had to have been the worst phone I ever had

dubrov wrote: »
    The Nexus 6 will probably be announced in two weeks.

The Nexus 5 is likely to drop to about €200 at that point.

Il probably hold out for that so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I have the S3 for like 6 months( got it for €200 on the Tesco Paddys day weekend special) and I hate the speed of it. It takes forever for apps to close and open. It keeps freezing as the processor cant handle the new software. But I love my brothers moto G.

Maybe consider the new Moto G. The camera is as good as a S3. Its a bit bigger(the .3" of a screen difference is actually huge and far better) and its good value on amazon.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 14,830 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Moto G is the best value for money phone out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

The general consensus here is not to pick up the S3. It was a decent phone when it came out and really put Samsung on the map in a big way, but it was actually quite slow and buggy.

For a lower price you can get the Xperia M2 for €219. A very good phone with a gorgeous display.
    As others have said, there's the Moto G which is a phenomenal device for about €200 aswell.

• Advertisement

Think il seriously reconsider the s3, might look for a nexus 5 seeing as people don't like the s3!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amdaley28

I've had an S3 for two years now & never had a problem with it.
    My partner also has one & she's a heavy user, never had a problem.
    Before that she had an Iphone & she hated it.
    Some people mess around with their phones & when things go wrong they say its rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

Had an S3 and hated it. Went for a nexus 4 on launch date.

As said s3 was a decent phone when it launched, but not really any more.

A nexus 5 can be got brand new for 282€ Delivered. Much much better then the s3

D_turbo wrote: »
    Had an S3 and hated it. Went for a nexus 4 on launch date.

As said s3 was a decent phone when it launched, but not really any more.

A nexus 5 can be got brand new for 282€ Delivered. Much much better then the s3

Where did you happen to see the nexus 5 for that price?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

http://www.eglobalcentral.eu/lg-nexus-5-16gb-sim-free-unlocked-black.html

Some People Have been hit with VAT etc. But my Mate Got Hes Xperia Z2, Sony DSLR camera, A Digital Camera and a Go pro OFf it and never been hit with any taxs/Duty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

With Android the most important thing for longevity is support through updates from the manufacturer. No point buying a 3yo S3 as Samsung stopped supporting it long ago. Better to buy a modern midrange with support, like the Moto G.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

amdaley28 wrote: »
    I've had an S3 for two years now & never had a problem with it.
    My partner also has one & she's a heavy user, never had a problem.
    Before that she had an Iphone & she hated it.
    Some people mess around with their phones & when things go wrong they say its rubbish.

I would actually be the reverse of the section in bold. I've an S3 for over 2 years now and while I have't been motivated to upgrade yet, the only reason for that is that I rooted it and installed CM after a Samsung update rendered it borderline unusable!

As others have said, the support for the GS3 from Samsung is pathetic at this point, and I actually wouldn't buy Samsung again (unless I could get a play store edition, then maybe) after the improvement I got out of the phone by rooting and flashing it. Nexus 5 would be a much better option if you can stretch to it, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

cython wrote: »
    I would actually be the reverse of the section in bold. I've an S3 for over 2 years now and while I have't been motivated to upgrade yet, the only reason for that is that I rooted it and installed CM after a Samsung update rendered it borderline unusable!

As others have said, the support for the GS3 from Samsung is pathetic at this point, and I actually wouldn't buy Samsung again (unless I could get a play store edition, then maybe) after the improvement I got out of the phone by rooting and flashing it. Nexus 5 would be a much better option if you can stretch to it, IMHO.

If that's the 4.3 "upgrade" you're talking about, I think it was little more than sabotage/accelerated obsolescence. I wouldn't buy another TouchJizz product in a fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

D_turbo wrote: »
    http://www.eglobalcentral.eu/lg-nexus-5-16gb-sim-free-unlocked-black.html

Some People Have been hit with VAT etc. But my Mate Got Hes Xperia Z2, Sony DSLR camera, A Digital Camera and a Go pro OFf it and never been hit with any taxs/Duty

Great price...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

corwill wrote: »
    If that's the 4.3 "upgrade" you're talking about, I think it was little more than sabotage/accelerated obsolescence. I wouldn't buy another TouchJizz product in a fit.

I don't think it was actually, as I recall being frustrated by the slow release of updates by both Samsung and in turn Meteor/eMobile, so I think I was back on 4.1.X at the time. My GF stayed stock and got the 4.3 release though, and I do recall it was terrible. Running Android 4.4.4 here via CM11 though and pretty happy, though the inevitable sluggishness of 2.5 year old hardware is setting in, to be fair.

Advertisement