Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fifth year important question!!!

Options
  • 29-09-2014 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

How we are marked in fifth year?I know that we have Christmas,spring and summer exams but i don't actually know how they work... There is Any state organisation that give the exam papers or every school does his "own exams with his own papers";moreover i can't get how and when report cards are given. We will have them just after every exam with the marks based on our exam results or are they based on the marks that we get in class?or maybe exam and class mark are mixed together to have an overall view?

Thank you!

P.S. if report cards are based upon our class marks what is actually more important(on the legal aspect)?report cards or exam results?
    P.P.S.I'm attending an Irish school...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The only State organisation that produces papers is the SEC for the actual Leaving. Mock papers (not normally given in 5th year) are from businesses with no connection to the SEC.

Most teachers make up their own exams for 5th year, probably with bits and pieces taken from old exam papers. There is usually not much point giving a full paper in 5th year as you will not have the course covered.

Report cards and dates vary school to school and really only act as a pointer as to how the student is doing. They can be a bare exam mark, or a mixture of exam and homework marks. It depends on the teacher. They don't really have any legal standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kaiser121

spurious wrote: »
    The only State organisation that produces papers is the SEC for the actual Leaving. Mock papers (not normally given in 5th year) are from businesses with no connection to the SEC.

Most teachers make up their own exams for 5th year, probably with bits and pieces taken from old exam papers. There is usually not much point giving a full paper in 5th year as you will not have the course covered.

Report cards and dates vary school to school and really only act as a pointer as to how the student is doing. They can be a bare exam mark, or a mixture of exam and homework marks. It depends on the teacher. They don't really have any legal standing.

Thank you!
    And just another little question...
    The final report card is only based on the work done on the last exam(summer one) and homework grades related to that period or take into account also the past exams/works?
    I really appreciate your help,thanks

P.S.I'm an exchange student and i have to "convert" the Irish marks in my motherland marks,therefore i wasn't sure which one was more important...

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Fiona G

Most schools that I know only include the results from the Christmas/summer exams in a report card sent home. Your class marks or homework marks aren't included on it at all. There might be some small comment from each teacher like ''good student'' too, but no other grade.

So after Christmas your report card will only include your Christmas exam results and your summer report card will only include your summer results etc.

That's the usual system but it can differ between schools. The best thing would be to ask one of your new classmates or a teacher to explain your school's system.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It all varies school to school and teacher to teacher. That's why the only marks (report) that actually matters is the Leaving Certificate results following the exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

On a side note, if you're thinking of studying in the UK the UCAS application process closes around October in 6th year and they usually take into account your 5th year summer results (along with predicted Leaving Certificate results) so if you're trying to get into a top university over there be mindful of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭TheEdgeofGlory

Magnate wrote: »
    On a side note, if you're thinking of studying in the UK the UCAS application process closes around October in 6th year and they usually take into account your 5th year summer results (along with predicted Leaving Certificate results) so if you're trying to get into a top university over there be mindful of that.

How important are Junior Cert results when applying through UCAS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

How important are Junior Cert results when applying through UCAS?

Not very I'd imagine, I think they only take into account your most recent exams although I have little experience with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭coolerboy

Magnate wrote: »
    Not very I'd imagine, I think they only take into account your most recent exams although I have little experience with it.

To get into medicine in the uk do you have to get an A in JC Science.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

coolerboy wrote: »
    To get into medicine in the uk do you have to get an A in JC Science.
    No not for all unis. if you look at the overseas requirements on the UCAS site for each uni it'll tell you. Some only request an A in JC science if you're not doing Physics or Chemistry at LC level, for example. :)

Advertisement