Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dubai - Engagement, excursions etc.... Help!

Options
  • 29-09-2014 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all,

First timer here.

I am looking for as much advice as possible regarding a few different topics for myself and my girlfriend travelling to Dubai. I 've read numerous other threads but none as up to date as I hoped so here goes.......

1) We are staying in the Deira district and I was looking for info re public transport etc.. to Dubai

2) I plan on proposing to my girlfriend prior to travelling and my intention is to purchase the engagement ring in Dubai - As much Info and recommendations as possible please.

Recommendations very welcome on things not to miss and companies or websites to book excursions with would be greatly appreciated.

I apologise for the brash nature and wide scope of this post but as I said, I need all the help I can get.

Thanks a million in advance

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

How romantic, proposing atop monuments built by slavery. I'd seriously reconsider your destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 99peekay

Thanks for your helpful reply Beaner.

I'm on boards two days and already discovered two keyboard warriors. Good man.

And just to explain to anyone with any genuine advice.... I'm planning my proposal PRIOR to travelling (as stated)... My intention is to purchase the engagement ring in Dubai.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Beaner1 wrote: »
    How romantic, proposing atop monuments built by slavery. I'd seriously reconsider your destination.

Egypt?

I'm not looking for holiday destinations, thanks anyway, I'll bear that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

99peekay wrote: »
    I'm not looking for holiday destinations, thanks anyway, I'll bear that in mind.

Switch on your irony detector.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I'm new to boards.... How do I do that??

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭edeldonlon

My advice on the ring would be to buy it in cara jewellers. There are tonnes of reviews of it online.

The metro goes down to deriaand can be useful for going some places but taxis and cheap and always available

Best of luck with the engagement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

coylemj wrote: »
    Switch on your irony detector.

Or write a post that makes sense.

edeldonlon wrote: »
    My advice on the ring would be to buy it in cara jewellers. There are tonnes of reviews of it online.

The metro goes down to deriaand can be useful for going some places but taxis and cheap and always available

Best of luck with the engagement

Thanks very much Edeldonlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

It's been a few years since I was there but would second Cara. We got engagment and wedding rings there on separate trips and got great deals both time. The Gold and Diamond park where it's located is basically a shopping centre that only has jewellers in it! And within the centre when we were there the only one that was busy was Cara. Kiran is the owner (or was) and worth asking for him.

When we were there we stayed in Grand Hyatt which was amazing, not too near anything so we just taxied everywhere really. That's kind of the 'done thing' in Dubai. Although the metro wasn't there when we were so maybe that's a good option now. There was no such thing as buses really - not for tourists anyway. Taxis are cheap enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭johnire

Hi there.

For something really special have lunch in the Burj al Arab.
    Also how about a hot air balloon trip over the Arabian desert and watch the sun rise?
    Try both....they are amazing!
    Best of luck to both if you for the future.
    99peekay wrote: »
    Hi all,

First timer here.

I am looking for as much advice as possible regarding a few different topics for myself and my girlfriend travelling to Dubai. I 've read numerous other threads but none as up to date as I hoped so here goes.......

1) We are staying in the Deira district and I was looking for info re public transport etc.. to Dubai

2) I plan on proposing to my girlfriend prior to travelling and my intention is to purchase the engagement ring in Dubai - As much Info and recommendations as possible please.

Recommendations very welcome on things not to miss and companies or websites to book excursions with would be greatly appreciated.

I apologise for the brash nature and wide scope of this post but as I said, I need all the help I can get.

Thanks a million in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Taxi's are the only way to get around Dubai. Its simply too warm to walk anywhere.

The shopping malls are HUGE and there will be designer shops aplenty, however the gold souks is where you'll find deals on rings/diamonds.

There are hundreds of jewellers in the gold souk district and you'll be spoiled for choice. Every shop will be vying for your custom so dont be afraid to haggle.

Id research the clarity of diamonds (google) in advance, so you have some knowledge of what you want and wont appear naive.
    It helps when you know what you want, or at least give that impression :)

The viewing deck in the Burj Kalifa (worlds tallest building) and the Wild Wadi Water park (not just for kids) are options in your down time.

Dubai is an interesting place, it took a day or two for me to warm too it.
    I'd love to go back!

Thanks to everyone for their helpful advice.

We used the Metro and taxis to get about, we visited everywhere mentioned above. A fascinating place.

My 'fiancee' also said yes and we visited CARA where we got a great deal with Jignesh and ended up buying our wedding rings too.

Anyway, thanks again.

Queue next post re wedding tips.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ParisOld

i am just back form Dubai and visited Cara jewellers for my engagement ring. i sent a few emails to a guy called ROCKY (he was great).
    If you are in doubt about going, all i have to say is GO! you can get flights for a little as €400 and you save a fortune on your diamonds compared to here in ireland. I got a better quality diamond than ireland for HALF the price, GIA certified etc. the choice is so much better than here and they can make a specific ring in 24-48 hours.
    I put a lot of effort into researching the ring and I am delighted I did, it was a fabulous trip and the ring is beautiful. They valued it for me here, its now worth TWICE as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

ParisOld wrote: »
    i am just back form Dubai and visited Cara jewellers for my engagement ring. i sent a few emails to a guy called ROCKY (he was great).
    If you are in doubt about going, all i have to say is GO! you can get flights for a little as €400 and you save a fortune on your diamonds compared to here in ireland. I got a better quality diamond than ireland for HALF the price, GIA certified etc. the choice is so much better than here and they can make a specific ring in 24-48 hours.
    I put a lot of effort into researching the ring and I am delighted I did, it was a fabulous trip and the ring is beautiful. They valued it for me here, its now worth TWICE as much.

I got an engagement ring in Cara last year and dealt with Rocky too - great guy! Had to comment when I saw him mentioned on boards.ie :o

Advertisement