Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultrabook upgrading

Options
  • 29-09-2014 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just wonder has anyone upgraded an ultrabook before? I'm looking to play Santa for myself this year and get myself a new ultrabook but I'm a bit let down by the SSD/RAM sizes. I would have those 128/256 SSDs filled in no time!! I am probably going to go for a lower end model and then max out the RAM and stick in a 512 SSD, due to the price of the bloody yokes

Has anyone advice when it comes to ultrabooks? Are they more difficult than standard laptops due to their compactness?

Cheers, SK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

My sony has soldered RAM and changing the SSD is a right pain.

Ultrabooks are designed for getting work done on the go, not gaming or storing your movie collection for the most part. If you want high capacity get a larger dual bay laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Same as that, mine has soldered RAM< an intel GPU but the SSD can be upgraded,, though I'm too lazy to bother..just use an external 2.5" 1TB drive for storage if needed.

The only ultrabook that looks good enough to game on is the 14" Razer Blade-GTX 870M GPU but stupid money and not available here IIRC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭walshyp

skeg16 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Just wonder has anyone upgraded an ultrabook before? I'm looking to play Santa for myself this year and get myself a new ultrabook but I'm a bit let down by the SSD/RAM sizes. I would have those 128/256 SSDs filled in no time!! I am probably going to go for a lower end model and then max out the RAM and stick in a 512 SSD, due to the price of the bloody yokes

Has anyone advice when it comes to ultrabooks? Are they more difficult than standard laptops due to their compactness?

Cheers, SK

Why do you need to max out the Ram?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

I'm not looking to game or put it through its paces, just looking for a nice slim laptop to bring with me on the go. I would be happy with 6GB RAM and at least 512 SSD, any less would not be worth the money they are charging. I have an external HDD but its nice to have some stuff (crap) on your local machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

What's your budget skeg? I would go for an Asus Zenbook, the blue one looks the business to boot. Just bear in mind anything with a 512Gb SSD will be a higher end model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

glynf wrote: »
    What's your budget skeg? I would go for an Asus Zenbook, the blue one looks the business to boot. Just bear in mind anything with a 512Gb SSD will be a higher end model.

That a nice looking machine, a little bit on pricey side. I was leaning towards the Samsung 5 series but I like the asus kit aswel. Not gone on the touch screen as i think its just a gimmick.

Really disappointing to hear most of the components are soldered but I suppose they are made that way due to their compactness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

skeg16 wrote: »
    That a nice looking machine, a little bit on pricey side. I was leaning towards the Samsung 5 series but I like the asus kit aswel. Not gone on the touch screen as i think its just a gimmick.

Really disappointing to hear most of the components are soldered but I suppose they are made that way due to their compactness.

Said it to someone else today and now feel like a Lenovo representative. I've had the Yoga 2 pro for a few months now and it's a fantastic laptop. Light, great UHD screen, great specs, excellent build and components. Sleek design and foldable into a tablet, tent or tabletop mode.

Can't fault it really!

Advertisement