Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kenko coffee

Options
  • 29-09-2014 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭

Tesco €5.50 for 200g kenko smooth was €8.59!!!

On sale in choice discount store for €3.00 for exact product . Tesco are such a rip off. They are saying it was €8.59 for the small jar? It couldn't have been.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

lukesmom wrote: »

On sale in choice discount store for €3.00 for exact product . Tesco are such a rip off. They are saying it was €8.59 for the small jar? It couldn't have been.
    ] I wouldn't really compare with a discount store that picks up clearance and may / may not have the product the next time you visit.

Its good to get it cheap and on offer, but to use a special offer to say another place is a rip off is stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

delahuntv wrote: »
    ] I wouldn't really compare with a discount store that picks up clearance and may / may not have the product the next time you visit.

Its good to get it cheap and on offer, but to use a special offer to say another place is a rip off is stupid.

So your calling me stupid? Thanks :(
    And the discount store has had it in stock for well over a year. And it is a rip off the fact that tesco are advertising it as been reduced from €8 to €5.50 because it has never been €8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Are you sure that the one in Choice was definitely 200g?

Also the €8.59 doesn't seem way off the mark for a non-offer price for 200g.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Are you sure that the one in Choice was definitely 200g?

Also the €8.59 doesn't seem way off the mark for a non-offer price for 200g.

Yes I'm sure. And I've never seen it priced in tesco for. €8.59

So your calling me stupid? Thanks :(

Please re-read the post.

I said comparing a discount store that has a limited offering and where supply is not guaranteed to a mainstream supermarket is stupid.

I didn't say you were stupid.

Also, if the product in Choice is Kenko, its not the same as tesco! Tesco sell "Kenco". :P (and before you jump on my back again and mis read the post, that is a joke!)

• Advertisement

Dropped into Choice in Naas yesterday.

Kenco Smooth 2.99 for 100g not 200g

The 200g jar is quite a large jar - possibly in tesco the price card was misplaced and under the 100g jars instead of the 200g jars.

Tesco are €3 for the 100g jar at present, so a 1c difference.

Personally, I wouldn't buy instant coffee at any price - even if it was free :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Its €9.39 in tesco terenure now, up from €8.59 a couple of weeks ago. I notice they had it on special last week for €5.50 then the increase. Tossers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Stuck it in the other thread, but Brazil has had a drought so their coffee crop is in danger, as a result, coffee prices have hit a 2 year high, and coffee commodities have shot up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Stuck it in the other thread, but Brazil has had a drought so their coffee crop is in danger, as a result, coffee prices have hit a 2 year high, and coffee commodities have shot up.
    but wasnt there a price crash last year, yet prices didnt go down?

but wasnt there a price crash last year, yet prices didnt go down?

It wasn't as much a price crash as a dropping from highs of 2011.

Highs were $3/lb but dropped back and for a short while were $1.20/lb. Its back at almost $2/lb and the dollar has weakened.

In relation to instant coffee, the price won't jump about because its normally lower grade beans used. Also, the raw bean price is only part of the cost. Other costs such as transport, roasting, frieze drying, packaging etc stay relatively constant.

However good quality coffee beans have moved up and down (one of my businesses has a coffee shop in it) and I've had the beans I buy drop to €16 a kg and rise back to almost €22 a kg (very high grade) in the past year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement