Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rewiring; am I missing anything?

Options
  • 28-09-2014 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Coming up with a spec list for rewiring a period house and I'm just wondering am I missing anything? I'm trying to cover every eventuality as I don't' want to have to do it again 10 years down the line!
    • Multiple electrical sockets
    • Cat6 network points certain rooms. Presumable it's best to have wire comes out to hub or switch in accessible but hidden location (understairs or attic).
    • Future-proof with neutral to the light switches for home automation (http://www.wired.com/2013/09/belkin-lightswitch/) Are there any other things I need to do to futureproof the house for automation?
    • Wiring for burglar alarm panel in hallway (currently under stairs).
    • Wiring to windows, doors for burglar alarm (already there but not sure all are covered or if concealed)
    • Wiring for thermostats

Cheers,

P.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭gofasterdad

you should consider adding wiring for tv points, two or three cables running to each room where you might need it. Makes installing Saorview / satellite / cable broadband much easier and neater later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Jimmy_M

Re future proofing/automation - a low voltage signal cable or 2 at each light switch - wired back to a central point - e.g. under the stairs.
    Could do it for some of your sockets too if you like.
    Enables you to control a relay or something that might be attached to the lights - the brains controlling (raspberry pi or some commercial unit) would eventually be under the stairs should you choose to do it. Cheaper than the wireless controllers that are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Jimmy_M wrote: »
    Re future proofing/automation - a low voltage signal cable or 2 at each light switch - wired back to a central point - e.g. under the stairs.

I'm open to correction, but a sparky told me you can't have low and high voltage in same switch/conduit?

Personally I would run 2 core switch cable to each radiator and have an automated heating system i.e. each rad can be controlled individually saving fuel. Would pay for itself in no time and save a lot after that. Company in Galway sell the controller for the rads but can't remember the name.

I'd also wire in twice the usual amount of smoke alarms for safety.

I have a projector and wish I wired ceiling in sitting room for cables. (Even to have power up there from nearest light would be fine as you can send video wirelessly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Jimmy_M

gutteruu wrote: »
    I'm open to correction, but a sparky told me you can't have low and high voltage in same switch/conduit?

Fair enough, I'm by no means an expert on regulations. I've just tricked about with a few electronics projects. Cant think of a safety reason for this though - the only thing i can think of against it is noise from AC may interfere with the low voltage DC.

Advertisement