Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rewiring; am I missing anything?

Options
  • 28-09-2014 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Coming up with a spec list for rewiring a period house and I'm just wondering am I missing anything? I'm trying to cover every eventuality as I don't' want to have to do it again 10 years down the line!
    • Multiple electrical sockets
    • Cat6 network points certain rooms. Presumable it's best to have wire comes out to hub or switch in accessible but hidden location (understairs or attic).
    • Future-proof with neutral to the light switches for home automation (http://www.wired.com/2013/09/belkin-lightswitch/) Are there any other things I need to do to futureproof the house for automation?
    • Wiring for burglar alarm panel in hallway (currently under stairs).
    • Wiring to windows, doors for burglar alarm (already there but not sure all are covered or if concealed)
    • Wiring for thermostats

Cheers,

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

oceanclub wrote: »
    Coming up with a spec list for rewiring a period house and I'm just wondering am I missing anything? I'm trying to cover every eventuality as I don't' want to have to do it again 10 years down the line!
    • Multiple electrical sockets
    • Cat6 network points certain rooms. Presumable it's best to have wire comes out to hub or switch in accessible but hidden location (understairs or attic).
    • Future-proof with neutral to the light switches for home automation (http://www.wired.com/2013/09/belkin-lightswitch/) Are there any other things I need to do to futureproof the house for automation?
    • Wiring for burglar alarm panel in hallway (currently under stairs).
    • Wiring to windows, doors for burglar alarm (already there but not sure all are covered or if concealed)
    • Wiring for thermostats

Cheers,

P.

A socket or two for wherever your gonna put your Xmas tree :) also, if yiur running wire for your room stats, make sure there's a neutral there too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Coax for TV/Satellite

Smoke detectors, emergency lighting

Motion sensors for burglar alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭KAGY

Cheers,

P.

Speaker cables for surround sound
    Power and data for ceiling mounted projector
    Outside cables for patio lights / shed / massive marble fountain
    Separate runs for power showers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Attic lights and socket.
    Socket on upstairs landing or in hotpress handy for vacuuming or if any work needs to be done.
    Discreet socket at the front (and rear) of the house for car maintenance or any work that needs doing.
    Exterior security lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,921 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

An Electrician
    Its illegal for you to go near the fuse box. It is also illegal for you to put in more than 2 sockets on a run. Any work on a fuse box needs to be certed by a REC. (Your insurance will be null & void in the case of electric fire). You wont get a REC to cert someone else's work. So unless you have this sorted somehow you might need to have a rethink.
    The only reason I'm assuming you are not getting a REC to do the job is that you are posting this in the DIY section. It's not a DIY job & should be posted in Electrical. Perhaps a moderator might move it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

It's not a DIY job & should be posted in Electrical. Perhaps a moderator might move it for you.

Will do. Just to make it absolutely clear I'm not doing this work myself, just thought DIY was the place for this.

Can a mod move the thread? Otherwise I'll just repost.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,921 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Will do. Just to make it absolutely clear I'm not doing this work myself, just thought DIY was the place for this.

Can a mod move the thread? Otherwise I'll just repost.

P.

Yes a mod can move it. You'll get better advice there. These guys rewire for a living so they should spot if you have forgotten anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

Perhaps some USB ports ? Maybe a 5 v DC circuit for LED lighting ?

Advertisement