Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Hw Qs.

Options
  • 28-09-2014 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

I want to know the Director of Equality Investigations the same as Director of Equality Tribunal ?
    as in a qs. it asks
    Evaluate the role of the Director of Equality Investigations in resolving complaints of discrimination in the workplace.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PeterJC!

I just Googled it, it doesn't seem to be; I know we haven't covered it :S

Obviously I wasn't very thorough, just checked my book and Google again, that's what it used to be called :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

PeterJC! wrote: »
    Obviously I wasn't very thorough, just checked my book and Google again, that's what it used to be called :)

So it is the same thing ?
    It be alright if I talked about Director of Equality Tribunal ?

Yeah, it's the exact same thing

Yeah, it's the exact same thing

A person, who feels he has been discriminated against, victimised or suffered harassment in the workplace must make the claim within 6 months from the date that the incident occurred to an Equality Tribunal. In some cases where this authority considers it likely that mediation would solve the problem, it recommends it and an Equality Mediation Officer is offered to enable this to happen.
    If mediation is unsuitable or does not succeed then a hearing by an Equality Tribunal will proceed. If the complaint is withheld then the employee shall be re-instated or re-engaged with or without an order for compensation. If either of the parties is unhappy with the decision they can refer the complaint to the Labour Court.
    If successful, a person, may receive equal pay and arrears in respect of a period not exceeding 3yrs or equal treatment and compensation up to max of 2 years.

Evaluation:
    • The office of the Director of Equality Investigations has led to increased protection for employees. .
    • All services are accessible to all and are free of charge.
    • Decisions are made available to the widest possible audience to foster an awareness of what constitutes discrimination and to help prevent further discrimination.

Would this answer be alright ?
    The exam qs. soloutions do not provide a sample answer :(

• Advertisement

Whenever you're asked to evaluate 5 marks always goes to the evaluation, so you're best to leave it till last like you did.
    In some cases where this authority considers it likely that mediation would solve the problem, it recommends it and an Equality Mediation Officer is offered to enable this to happen.

I would say 'the Director ... Tribunal can appoint an Equality Mediation Officer with the consent of both parties. The discrimination case is held informally and in private. If a settlement is reached it is legally enforceable.
    If mediation is unsuitable or does not succeed then a hearing by an Equality Tribunal will proceed. If the complaint is withheld then the employee shall be re-instated or re-engaged with or without an order for compensation. If either of the parties is unhappy with the decision they can refer the complaint to the Labour Court.

Honestly, I don't know if you'd get marks for that. 'If either party objects to mediation or it is not successful, an Equality Officer is appointed who investigates the case formally. It listens to evidence and makes a legally enforceable ruling. If either party objects, they can appeal to the Labour Court'

I'd also say 'The Director ... Tribunal has the power to dismiss a claim if she thinks it is made in bad faith or is frivolous in nature. It is also the Director herself who makes the final decision and her ruling is enforceable through the Circuit Court.
    If successful, a person, may receive equal pay and arrears in respect of a period not exceeding 3yrs or equal treatment and compensation up to max of 2 years.

I wouldn't include that but if you want to, it's only when an Equality Officer finds in favour of the employee and the first remedy is for equal pay claims and the latter for other cases.
    Evaluation:
    • The office of the Director of Equality Investigations has led to increased protection for employees. .
    • All services are accessible to all and are free of charge.
    • Decisions are made available to the widest possible audience to foster an awareness of what constitutes discrimination and to help prevent further discrimination.

I'm pretty sure you have to say something a long the lines of 'this is good' in your evaluation, by the way each case is kept confidential. An evaluation might go like this, though it's a bit long for one, - 'The Director ... Tribunal is good because it is a govt. official who investigates discrimination for free. It is also good that each case is kept confidential which saves the employee stress from a public case. It is good that the Director ... Tribunal can dismiss cases so that good employers will not have their names' tarnished by malicious employees. It is also good that if the employee wins their case, they are guaranteed to get the justice they deserve.'

Hope that helps! :)

Whenever you're asked to evaluate 5 marks always goes to the evaluation, so you're best to leave it till last like you did.

I would say 'the Director ... Tribunal can appoint an Equality Mediation Officer with the consent of both parties. The discrimination case is held informally and in private. If a settlement is reached it is legally enforceable.

Honestly, I don't know if you'd get marks for that. 'If either party objects to mediation or it is not successful, an Equality Officer is appointed who investigates the case formally. It listens to evidence and makes a legally enforceable ruling. If either party objects, they can appeal to the Labour Court'

I'd also say 'The Director ... Tribunal has the power to dismiss a claim if she thinks it is made in bad faith or is frivolous in nature. It is also the Director herself who makes the final decision and her ruling is enforceable through the Circuit Court.

I wouldn't include that but if you want to, it's only when an Equality Officer finds in favour of the employee and the first remedy is for equal pay claims and the latter for other cases.

I'm pretty sure you have to say something a long the lines of 'this is good' in your evaluation, by the way each case is kept confidential. An evaluation might go like this, though it's a bit long for one, - 'The Director ... Tribunal is good because it is a govt. official who investigates discrimination for free. It is also good that each case is kept confidential which saves the employee stress from a public case. It is good that the Director ... Tribunal can dismiss cases so that good employers will not have their names' tarnished by malicious employees. It is also good that if the employee wins their case, they are guaranteed to get the justice they deserve.'

Hope that helps! :)

That I will use for the next 2 years.
    Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That I will use for the next 2 years.
    Thanks

Unless the name changes again.:D
    Remember, the legislation changes often. Section 37 should soon be gone - the bit that says religious-owned schools and hospitals can discriminate against gay people.

Advertisement