Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SwiftKey Options or other Alternatives

Options
  • 28-09-2014 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭

I've been using SwiftKey for a few years now but it's become frustrating to use - Mainly because some of the stuff I type is not in its dictionary and it ends up autocorrecting.

I would prefer if the stuff I am typing was the default rather than SwiftKeys version.
    That doesn't seem possible and SwiftKey hasn't seemed interested in increasing grades features for years now.

So, any alternatives out there that you recommend?

Comments

wandererz wrote: »
    I've been using SwiftKey for a few years now but it's become frustrating to use - Mainly because some of the stuff I type is not in its dictionary and it ends up autocorrecting.

I would prefer if the stuff I am typing was the default rather than SwiftKeys version.
    That doesn't seem possible and SwiftKey hasn't seemed interested in increasing grades features for years now.

So, any alternatives out there that you recommend?

Go to Settings > Advanced > Spacebar Completion Mode > Select "Always insert a space"

Fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

With Swiftkey, did you know that if you long press on one of the three suggestions you can remove a word from its dictionary? I've done that for a few things where it was consistently suggesting an obscure word for a common word, it's really made it much more user friendly. It also learns new words if you manually type them in, so it should be easy to adapt it to your needs.

Frankly I think people are insane to not use Swiftkey, it is basically sorcery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Why not just use the Google keyboard and add any words you need to the dictionary?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭wandererz

Go to Settings > Advanced > Spacebar Completion Mode > Select "Always insert a space"

Fixed

Oh yeah, so it is.
    That's not very intuitive at all!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I find that swiftkey gets worse over time rather than better. I remove all learned data every couple months and get it to relearn from my sent emails. That keeps it working well for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I've bee using Swype for years now since the early beta, can't live without it and i can type almost as fast with it now as i can on a regular PC keyboard, anything else is like going back to an old Nokia phone with physical number buttons and no predictive text.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I've turned off the autocorrect option and just tap the word I want. I did start getting a bit frustrated with it overwriting stuff

Long press to remove the suggestions from the dictionary is a good one though

Advertisement