Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips when learning essays off by heart?

Options
  • 28-09-2014 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi :) Im wondering what do ye do to learning A4 pages of writing off by heart. I know everyone learns differently but id love to know because I am currently learning Irish off by heart for tomorrow and im finding it so hard so I would honestly try anything :( thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

DONT.
    Learn the facts and build up knowledge you can use in multiple essays, don't confine yourself to the 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Irish is definitely one you shouldn't be learning off by heart. Just learn bullet points on which you can expand in a test and use to fit into any answer. For stories just know the summary and the characters in depth, for poems know the theme and poetic techniques, just be able to talk about them.

Do not rote learn, you'll improve your Irish so much more by trying to formulate your own answers, and I say this as someone who has gone from Low B's to A1's within this past year alone.

Don't be afraid to use google translate and dictionaries too, not just for vocab but also for learning how to say phrases that could be useful in any answer. Simple things that help you to answer the question being asked, eg. this shows us/we see/ the poet uses/ etc. etc. Be careful though as Google translate is not the most accurate but if you have a good understanding of the correct sentence syntax & grammar you should be able to fix any mistakes. If you're still not sure google whatever phrase you translated with quotation marks around it to see if it has ever been used previously, that way you'll know if it's correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

My teacher is giving us 3 A4 pages on Poverty to learn but I think wouldn't it be useful to learn 3 pages of phrases to throw in any essay that comes and then use my *goodish* Irish and make the essay up in the exam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

My teacher is giving us 3 A4 pages on Poverty to learn but I think wouldn't it be useful to learn 3 pages of phrases to throw in any essay that comes and then use my *goodish* Irish and make the essay up in the exam?

Yeah definitely a better idea, turn the main points into bullet points, learn all the relevant vocab and then learn useful phrases. The essay question is very different in that 80% is going for your irish as opposed to the usual 20% for story/poem questions, so phrases are very important.

Advertisement