Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MDF cut to size in south Dublin / Wicklow

Options
  • 28-09-2014 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi there, I'm making a set of diy speaker over the next few months. I need to get 3/4" mdf cut to a specific spec, without much room for error. I know b+q offer woodcutting, but I'd prefer to give my money to a small independent Irish company if possible, plus somewhere like b+q would most likely be hit and miss depending on who happens to be working on a particular day etc.

I know of a place called Larry's in Drumcondra, and they seem quite good. I'll probably use them unless anyone knows of somewhere decent closer to me? (I live in Sandyford work in Wicklow).

Any suggestion much appreciated!

Here is how I need a sheet cut up, ignore the holes i'll be cutting them myself:

cFDCZwA.jpg

This is a set I made while I was living in Mayo, and had access to a table saw:

pHuEou0.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

m-i-m-m- wrote: »
    Hi there, I'm making a set of diy speaker over the next few months. I need to get 3/4" mdf cut to a specific spec, without much room for error. I know b+q offer woodcutting, but I'd prefer to give my money to a small independent Irish company if possible, plus somewhere like b+q would most likely be hit and miss depending on who happens to be working on a particular day etc.

I know of a place called Larry's in Drumcondra, and they seem quite good. I'll probably use them unless anyone knows of somewhere decent closer to me? (I live in Sandyford work in Wicklow).

Any suggestion much appreciated!

Here is how I need a sheet cut up, ignore the holes i'll be cutting them myself:

cFDCZwA.jpg

This is a set I made while I was living in Mayo, and had access to a table saw:

pHuEou0.jpg

Any Carpenter would cut the sheet for you if you had the material

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

You could try Woodworkers and Hobbies in Terenure, Dublin 6w

I used to get ply sheets cut there on a regular basis, not sure if they still do it but worth a call.

Woodworkers and Hobbies.
    1-10 Mount Tallant Avenue,
    Terenure, 
    Dublin 6W, 
    Ireland
    Telephone: 01-4901968
    E-mail: sales@woodworkers.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Can't help with the cutting but making speakers had never occurred to me. Is it a lot more economical than buying outright ?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭m-i-m-m-

Carpenter wrote: »
    Any Carpenter would cut the sheet for you if you had the material

I'm more looking for somewhere that supplies and cuts the wood... thanks for the suggestion though.
    K.Flyer wrote: »
    You could try Woodworkers and Hobbies in Terenure, Dublin 6w

I used to get ply sheets cut there on a regular basis, not sure if they still do it but worth a call.

Woodworkers and Hobbies.
    1-10 Mount Tallant Avenue,
    Terenure, 
    Dublin 6W, 
    Ireland
    Telephone: 01-4901968
    E-mail: sales@woodworkers.ie

Cheers for that! Will check them out.
    recipio wrote: »
    Can't help with the cutting but making speakers had never occurred to me. Is it a lot more economical than buying outright ?

Yes it is indeed. The general consensus is with the cost of a diy design, you have to spend 3-4x (or more) times more on a commercial design to get comparable quality.

The raw materials are your only cost, unlike a high end speaker manufacturer... who have staff to pay, marketing, research, etc etc. Plus the satisfaction is a big bonus. The speakers I'm building will cost me €600ish in materials, so you would probably be spending €2000 plus for something off the shelf at the same level of SQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

m-i-m-m- wrote: »
    I'm more looking for somewhere that supplies and cuts the wood... thanks for the suggestion though.

Cheers for that! Will check them out.

Yes it is indeed. The general consensus is with the cost of a diy design, you have to spend 3-4x (or more) times more on a commercial design to get comparable quality.

The raw materials are your only cost, unlike a high end speaker manufacturer... who have staff to pay, marketing, research, etc etc. Plus the satisfaction is a big bonus. The speakers I'm building will cost me €600ish in materials, so you would probably be spending €2000 plus for something off the shelf at the same level of SQ.
    Thanks.
    Very interesting.
    Did you buy a speaker kit online or is there an Irish outlet ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭jack of all

Thanks.
    Very interesting.

Sorry to hijack this but I'm very interested in what you're doing there too, can you recommend any online sources for details re speaker spec, cab design etc? I'm okay on the timberwork side of things and handy enough at the soldering side too just need a bit of tutoring on the design/ spec? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Stanirish

Try Noel Fay in the Carpentry Store, Naas. Very nice family run buisness, that also supply. They should be able to cut out the circle on their CNC machine as well. say hello to him from me as well

Talk soon

Stan

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Thanks.
    Very interesting.

Maplin sell all you need, there are a good few books and online resources available where you can follow existing designs or learn how to design to your own needs.

Advertisement