Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulsterman or Northern Irishman, which do you prefer?

Options
  • 28-09-2014 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

When the press refers to well-known people from Northern Ireland who are not overtly political (usually athletes like Rory McIlroy, Graeme McDowell and Darren Clarke) they will sometimes use the demonym Northern Irish, and other times it will refer to them as Ulstermen (provided it's not women they're talking about).

Which do people prefer?

Frankly, I prefer Ulsterman because

- The province of Ulster has existed for hundreds of years, whereas Northern Ireland is a relatively recent creation, formed in 1920 by the Government of Ireland Act.
    - Being an Ulsterman does not negate one from being an Irishman. You can be from Donegal, Cavan or Monaghan and be both an Ulsterman and a resident of the Republic of Ireland.
    - 'Northern Irish' implies an exclusivity, and also suggests that 'Northern Irish' is a natural, organic identity of these islands in the same way as English, Scottish and Welsh (and, dare I say it, Cornish) are.

Ulsterman or Northern Irishman, which do you prefer? 10 votes

Ulsterman
    0% 0 votes
    Northern Irishman
    40% 4 votes
    I feel the same about both of them.
    60% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I don't mind either way. It's when people refer to the six counties of Northern Ireland as Ulster that annoys me.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Advertisement