Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips For a 5th Year

Options
  • 27-09-2014 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have some tips/ do's and don'ts for 5th year. Im currently doing my homework and just a small bit of revision (under 30mins) every school day. At the weekends I just do my homework. Is this enough, should I be doing more?
    I find it hard to sit down and study after my homework I'm too tired. Sometimes I feel as though it would be more beneficial for myself if I didn't do my homework and just studied instead.
    Irish and maths are my weaker subjects and I plan to get grinds in the future, is there anything else I can do to strengthen these subjects?
    Any other advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

In 5th year, I did after school study from 4-6.15, did nothing afterwards and did nothing on the weekends.
    When it came to Christmas and Summer exams, I did a lot of study before those (when I say a lot I mean 1 hour extra maybe per night and a few hours on the weekend) and I got the equivilent of 450 points in my summer tests.
    For me, what I did was more than enough for 5th year. You don't need to go killing yourself because if you are like me, you need to re-learn most things after summer anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

What you're doing seems fine. Just make sure you up the study around Christmas and Summer.

Start organising notes for EVERY subject this year. Buy a folder and split it up into the different sections you study. For example, my Physics folder has notes split up into Mechanics, Electricity, Heat & Temperature and Sound Waves and Light etc.

Doing a little a lot always helps, if that means writing out what you did in class or learning off definitions for a subject. Study smart.

Get used to the layout of the exams, your teachers will base your class tests along with Christmas and Summer exams off these! Understand how much a question is asking based off how many marks are allocated to it. Use marking schemes to perfect your answers. You make think a piece of information is irrelevant but putting it in gives you full marks.

Also, what choice subjects do you do? You say that Irish and Maths are your weak subjects. I'd recommend doing these two subjects first when you sit down to do work, generally your mind is "fresher" than what it may be after an hour or two. I'm no good with Irish but for Maths, do every single exam question possible relating to your topic, do every question in the book possible. Keep attempting it until you get it right. If you still cannot figure it out, politely ask your teacher, they're only there to help! I was atrocious at Maths in JC, barely got an honours but now in 6th I'm fine, just through continuous practice. Eventually it all justs clicks, it may take longer for some people but once you get it, you'll be flying it!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 seanbarrow

Practice drinking and studying. You'll need to be good at both for college. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Thanks for the advice.
    The subjects I'm doing are, with JC results:
    (All Higher Level)

English B
    Irish C
    Maths C
    Business B
    Economics NA (recent class test 97%)
    Biology NA
    Geography B

Hoping to improve on those results for the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 weet0e96

If you are feeling tired try having an apple and a cup of coffee before you start studying. I find myself in the same boat as yourself and the coffee and apple are a helpful little pick me up. That is all the advice i'm fit to give :p. I hope it helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Exam papers!!
    Know the layouts and how to get the marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Cheers every little tip makes the difference! :)

Advertisement