Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High lifting hydraulic jack.

Options
  • 27-09-2014 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    we bought an Auto-Roller '5 this summer, and before heading to France, realised there was neither jack nor wrench with it. Have a 2 ton roller jack in the jeep, so just brought that, and a 15/16 3/4 drive socket and T bar.

Picked up a huge Tek screw somewhere and got a flat. No probs, thinks I, and out with the jack. Realised that jacking under the axle beam means that there is not enough room up in the rear arch to allow the replacement wheel fit in. Jacking under the front spring hanger, and the jack wasn't able to lift the weight. Jacking under the rear spring hanger and the jack wouldn't lift high enough. So a French motorhome owner came to my rescue, with his hydraulic bottle jack. It was an extended height one, of a type I have never seen before. Would any of you good folks know where to source one of these, or should I just buy a 3 ton roller jack with a longer arm and therefore higher lift?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    we bought an Auto-Roller '5 this summer, and before heading to France, realised there was neither jack nor wrench with it. Have a 2 ton roller jack in the jeep, so just brought that, and a 15/16 3/4 drive socket and T bar.

Picked up a huge Tek screw somewhere and got a flat. No probs, thinks I, and out with the jack. Realised that jacking under the axle beam means that there is not enough room up in the rear arch to allow the replacement wheel fit in. Jacking under the front spring hanger, and the jack wasn't able to lift the weight. Jacking under the rear spring hanger and the jack wouldn't lift high enough. So a French motorhome owner came to my rescue, with his hydraulic bottle jack. It was an extended height one, of a type I have never seen before. Would any of you good folks know where to source one of these, or should I just buy a 3 ton roller jack with a longer arm and therefore higher lift?

You will get more height with the right bottle jack and its smaller to store. Did you look in Halfords? I believe they have them there. They have a high lift trolley jack too if you have the space for it

Bottle jacks don't have wheels. I hate the blighters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Theres a guy selling ex army weber hydraulic jacks on adverts I got one for my van, fantastic quality, if you don't mind a bit of paint rash he has cheaper ones. They have a bevelled base to reduce lateral load.

http://www.adverts.ie/search/user-644737/status_active/type_all

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

Anybody use one of these?

http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/garage-equipment/trolley-jacks-axle-stands/halfords-4-tonne-bottle-jack

Do you reckon it would do the job? Only €24.99

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Hi Revile Andy, Would be a great jack, except the description says it only lifts 12 cm.
    If this is accurate, then that's only about 5 inches of lift, and that's not going to be enough to lift the camper high enough to allow the springs to drop and still have the tyre clear of the ground. If it was a two stage ram, then it might be OK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

revileandy wrote: »
    Anybody use one of these?

http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/garage-equipment/trolley-jacks-axle-stands/halfords-4-tonne-bottle-jack

Do you reckon it would do the job? Only €24.99

Yes it would up to a max height of about 37 cm.

Just read the reviews on the Halfords website and they are positive in respect of the jack itself and its capabilities. However one guy said it wouldn't lift his freelander high enough and he used a block of wood to extend the height. Another eejit said he used it to work under his car without needing axle stands (he is probably dead by now).

Advertisement