Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Alarm Advice

Options
  • 27-09-2014 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I'm just going to start with saying I have zero knowledge on alarms of any type so pologies if these seem like very stupid questions.

Im moving into a house soon & would like to get an alarm of some sort. There has never been an alarm in the house so there are no wires etc.

I want a basic alarm that will alert me to an intruder. I have a dog & toddler so needs to be one that allows us to move around while inside. If there is such a thing as one that can text or call if there was an intruder while nor at home that would be great but not essential so very much depends on cost .

A recommendation & rough cost estimate would be really appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

Not one of those questions is stupid, they are all very relevant.
    So you need a system that you can have on and be able to move around the house while that system is switched on, not a problem, that system is known as a perimeter type system and it comprises of units called inertia shock sensors, which pick up vibrations. With these sensors there is units called contacts which monitor the actual opening panes of all your windows and doors.
    So utilising both the shock sensors and contacts will allow you to move around within the house, also should there be an attempted intrusion, the system will activate before the intruder has succeeded in gaining entry to your home.
    We also recommend the fitting of a few motion detectors within the house, just to provide back up and indeed extra verification should you wish to get the system professionally monitored. Of course these units will be deactivated whilst you are in the house with the alarm turned on.

With regard to costs and recommendations, well we are not really allowed to do those however my advice to you is to make sure and get at least 3 written quotations from PSA licenced companies. Please be aware that if you employ an installer who is not PSA licenced then you and he are committing an offence and are liable for prosecution.
    There is an entire section of licensed installers on the PSA website which is psa. gov.ie
    Apologies I am on the phone and cannot give you a direct link to that.

With regard to texting, this is no longer recommended as Eircom who provide this service will be discontinuing it soon, therefore should you require to self monitor the system then your installer should be providing you with a voice dialler.

Advertisement