Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last Key workout before a priority race

Options
  • 26-09-2014 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Folks, just wondering what do you find is the optimum time in days prior to a goal race that you do your final key session? Most sources seem to be saying 10-8 days??
    And what session do you feel is your go to sharpener for a 10k race?
    I have a race I would like to do well in coming up on Sunday week. Just getting back into decent enough training after injury lay-off with three build up races in last 6 weeks. Training last night consisted of 3x1mile (5.40-5.45/mile) intervals followed by 8x300m (50-54 secs) off 100m jog.
    Was thinking of a medium to long run of 16-18k on saturday with 2x15m at tempo feel. Or is any session now going to be of little benefit?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

conavitzky wrote: »
    Folks, just wondering what do you find is the optimum time in days prior to a goal race that you do your final key session? Most sources seem to be saying 10-8 days??
    And what session do you feel is your go to sharpener for a 10k race?
    I have a race I would like to do well in coming up on Sunday week. Just getting back into decent enough training after injury lay-off with three build up races in last 6 weeks. Training last night consisted of 3x1mile (5.40-5.45/mile) intervals followed by 8x300m (50-54 secs) off 100m jog.
    Was thinking of a medium to long run of 16-18k on saturday with 2x15m at tempo feel. Or is any session now going to be of little benefit?

My advice would be stick to something which focuses on race pace or progressive nature.

I wouldn't feel you need to change to much given you have been racing so frequently

In terms of 10 days out it should be your last big workouts and for 10k there are some that come to mind

3 x 2 mile @ 10k pace off 4-5 min rec.
    (McMillan one which acts as an indicator session though if you have been racing that much probably no need)

Another one which I used early this year that served me well

3000 @ 10k pace, 4 min rec, 2000@ 5k pace, 4 min rec, 6x400 w/ 1 min rec @ 3k pace

To give context though I was coming off alot of strength based work here and this session acted as a way of introducing quicker paces in a safe manor though worked a treat.

I would advise to keep the overall plan in mind and just treat is at a normal session given you are six weeks back, though its a priority season it will not make or break the season (I may be making wild assumptions here)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

ecoli wrote: »
    My advice would be stick to something which focuses on race pace or progressive nature.

I wouldn't feel you need to change to much given you have been racing so frequently

In terms of 10 days out it should be your last big workouts and for 10k there are some that come to mind

3 x 2 mile @ 10k pace off 4-5 min rec.
    (McMillan one which acts as an indicator session though if you have been racing that much probably no need)

Another one which I used early this year that served me well

3000 @ 10k pace, 4 min rec, 2000@ 5k pace, 4 min rec, 6x400 w/ 1 min rec @ 3k pace

To give context though I was coming off alot of strength based work here and this session acted as a way of introducing quicker paces in a safe manor though worked a treat.

I would advise to keep the overall plan in mind and just treat is at a normal session given you are six weeks back, though its a priority season it will not make or break the season (I may be making wild assumptions here)
    Thanks ecoli. It definitely won't make or break the season. Just happy to be back running injury free and building for cross country season. Definitely not pb territory. Looking at your two suggestions I will probably lean to a watered down version of the second workout with substantial warm up and cool down. For some reason I have a total aversion to the 3x2. Probably cause they are bloody tough!
    Had been doing a Daniels plan which was all shorter length intervals. Since going back to the club that has been extended to multiples of miles. I think this close to the race the 3x2 would break me! Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I remember being in a similar situation as you about 2-3 years ago coming off a short build up phase and 10 days out remember coach having me do 20x400 off 45 sec (jog 100 rec) @ roughly 5k pace. Great one for aerobic power and rhythm running.

Ended up PB'ing in that 10k by a considerable margin (exact same course as the previous PB) so might be another option that your body may be more accustomed to given your recent sessions that won't shock the body

(Obviously amend number of reps to match up with mileage thus far, I was on 70 mpw at the time so even 14-16 can be a good workout)

I remember being in a similar situation as you about 2-3 years ago coming off a short build up phase and 10 days out remember coach having me do 20x400 off 45 sec (jog 100 rec) @ roughly 5k pace. Great one for aerobic power and rhythm running.

Ended up PB'ing in that 10k by a considerable margin (exact same course as the previous PB) so might be another option that your body may be more accustomed to given your recent sessions that won't shock the body

(Obviously amend number of reps to match up with mileage thus far, I was on 70 mpw at the time so even 14-16 can be a good workout)
    I'm liking the sound of that. At 50 miles per week so as you say may cut it back to 16 or so. Thanks ecoli.

Did 16x400 today at 5k pace with few k either side to total 18k and felt good. The proof will be in the pudding. Thanks ecoli.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

What race are you targeting Conavitzky?

A good mini-session I like to do the week before a 10k is to do 4X800m @ race pace, with lots of recovery between each rep. This should be a confidence booster rather than a hard session. The objective of the session is for the body to feel very comfortable at race pace without stressing it at all.

Other than that, it is worth just easy paced running with maybe 10 or 12 X 80m strides.

Good luck with it!

wrstan wrote: »
    What race are you targeting Conavitzky?

A good mini-session I like to do the week before a 10k is to do 4X800m @ race pace, with lots of recovery between each rep. This should be a confidence booster rather than a hard session. The objective of the session is for the body to feel very comfortable at race pace without stressing it at all.

Other than that, it is worth just easy paced running with maybe 10 or 12 X 80m strides.

Good luck with it!

It's only a local 10k wrstan nothing too major! But I would like to perform well. Had to abandon an easy run this evening after 6k as achilles starting to give me a bit of gyp. Maybe blessing in disguise. May try few 800 reps on Wednesday to see where it's at...thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

conavitzky wrote: »
    It's only a local 10k wrstan nothing too major! But I would like to perform well. Had to abandon an easy run this evening after 6k as achilles starting to give me a bit of gyp. Maybe blessing in disguise. May try few 800 reps on Wednesday to see where it's at...thanks

Nothing only about it.
    Only in its 25th consecutive year.
    Great course for a PB, ran it twice - 2 PBs.
    Dig deep in the middle few miles and you can finish strong.

I agree with the race pace advise for the final week - 4x8 or 8x4 are good but if your achilles is at you, maybe keep it under wraps until race day with just easy runs and race pace strides. Good luck.

dna_leri wrote: »
    Nothing only about it.
    Only in its 25th consecutive year.
    Great course for a PB, ran it twice - 2 PBs.
    Dig deep in the middle few miles and you can finish strong.

I agree with the race pace advise for the final week - 4x8 or 8x4 are good but if your achilles is at you, maybe keep it under wraps until race day with just easy runs and race pace strides. Good luck.
    Thanks dl. Just playing it down in my head! Ya if you are in or around your target with 4k to go there is certainly time to gain as it's all downhill to the track. Will try and stretch the legs again this evening at easy pace with a few strides as ya say. Are you going to give it a go?

Advertisement