Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audio Production PC UPGRADE

Options
  • 26-09-2014 2:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey there,
    had a thread going nearly 2 years ago asking this very question but circumstances arose which prevented me from making the purchases then. I'm making a new thread due to Moore's law :P

Basically I built a decent PC early in 2007 and it's starting to show it's age.
    I've fallen out of the loop on what's hot these days so was wondering if any of you could offer suggestions on what to upgrade.

The PC is primarily used for Audio Production with the occasional Racing Sim played.

I want to retain as many non-essential parts as possible.

The PC as it stands is :

Case: Gigabyte TRITON
    CPU: Intel Core 2 QUAD Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
    GPU: GeForce GTX 650 Ti
    MOBO: Asrock p43de
    Ram: 8GB Ballistix (ddr2 I think)
    PSU: Hyper (unknown power)

Here's the template:

1. What is your budget? [€700]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Audio Procution, very light gaming]
    ( rFactor ( year 2005) )

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive, DVD Drive, Case, GPU (Unsure of PSU)]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [N/A.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1200] [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] [No]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No]

8. How can you pay? [PayPal, DebitCard]

9. When are you purchasing? [As soon as possible]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [No]

Looking into a good SSD, best mobo and CPU for the job, better RAM mainly.

Any help appreciated!
    Thanks,.
    D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 0101101

It's also worth mentioning that I'm using a "Focusrite Saffire PRO24" firewire sound card.
    So would require a firewire port on the Mainboard or a PCI card with a "Texas instruments" chipset.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Moore's law is dead :)

I'd probably sell most of your old system. I'd maybe just keep the graphics card from it. You might as well grab a case upgrade while you're at it.

It will be a lot quieter while having a better design and modern features.

Something like this should do nicely. Customise the fan profiles for silence since you won't be overclocking and you should have plenty of overhead room with temps to reduce fan speeds.

What model 650ti is it? 1gb or 2gb version? I'd consider upgrading to a MSI gaming 750ti 2gb if it's only 1gb if you're gaming at 1080p.

Total build cost: €584.57 + €11.99 shipping
    Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 Box, LGA1150 €220.91
    ASRock B85 Pro4, Sockel 1150, ATX €60.52
    16GB Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9 €124.89
    Crucial MX100 SSD 256GB (2,5", 7mm) €90.72
    Nanoxia Deep Silence DS 3 Dark Black, ohne Netzteil €59.94
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - Intel/AMD €27.59

• Registered Users Posts: 10 0101101

Perfect I'll go with that man! cheers.
    Yeah it's the 1gb version, but I'll see how it fairs out as I said, it sees very little gaming.

Where's the best place to sell second hand PC parts this old?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No problem.

Adverts.ie is pretty good I find.

Advertisement