Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android tv box as a replacement for regular TV service

Options
  • 25-09-2014 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

Has anyone used an android tv box to replace their set top box?

Is the quality good enough?

Or is it better just to supplement your current setup?

I hardly watch tv so this might be a good option for me...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭dubrov

The quality is fine but it isn't suitable for flicking between channels.

You need to know exactly what you want to watch beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Most of the Android boxes on Amazon.co.uk and the .de, .fr & .es variants are pretty good. You can install XBMC on them and your options from there are endless. You can search on youtube for video tutorials on installing the different apps & configuring them.

Now the the unknown is your internet strength. Ideally you should have fibre & even then you may see buffering and occasional freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

dubrov wrote: »
    The quality is fine but it isn't suitable for flicking between channels.

Why do none of the Android boxes offer this basic channel flicking function? If they want the masses to adopt to internet TV set top boxes this is a prerequisite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

JTMan wrote:
    Why do none of the Android boxes offer this basic channel flicking function? If they want the masses to adopt to internet TV set top boxes this is a prerequisite.

these are not really set top boxes, like dreambox, etc.

Those are generally Linux OS, with built-in tuners for Satellite/Cable/Terrestrial and are used to replace Sky generally, an EPG, probably FreeSat.

The Android TV boxes are just Android devices, using the same OS as phones and tablets, designed for personal use, without a display. The display is your HDMI enabled TV, which causes some problems for a OS bases on touch.

Of course also, they are internet-content based, and rely on the quality of your connection and home network, with no actual tuners.

That being said, there are a number of GUI interfaces which have been mentioned, like XBMC, Plex, etc.

There would be a "learning curve" involved, which Android enthusiasts relish, but may pose initial problems for so-called "newbies"...... which of course we call either were or still are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

LG1234 wrote: »
    Has anyone used an android tv box to replace their set top box?

Is the quality good enough?

Or is it better just to supplement your current setup?

I hardly watch tv so this might be a good option for me...
    JTMan wrote: »

There are many Android boxes that have DVB-T tuner built in. But, because of their storage (the type and the size), they're not ideal for any length - i.e. the more you watch, the faster they will degrade. There are also many IPTV options, some are pretty quick, not miles away from flicking through channels like a normal TV, but again no matter the spec of the box, they have limited storage capabilities.

That said, there are boxes available now that have different storage methods, but they are up around the same price as a small PC (Dell, Lenovo, Zotac, MSi, Intel etc..) ~ €150, and they are fairly new, so they all don't have the best firmware. I have two different ones, and one has the most difficult annoying requirements ever (to put custom software on). I doubt there will be any custom ROMS for it.
    The others are made by a fairly well known Chinese company and will be dropping in price closer to Christmas, so if you are thinking of getting one, I thik that you would be better off buying a cheaper box with good quality, and a DVB-T USB tuner to see how you like it.
    There are lots of boxes readily available for under €50 (Even under €40) that support HD without a problem, and a USB DVB-T tuner can be bought for less than €10, tons of apps on the Play store.
    At least that way, you have a good box, and if it's not your taste, you haven't spent a fortune on it.
    Also, if it is to your taste you have the extra cash to buy the better boxes later on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

JTMan wrote: »

You can always sign up for an IPTV subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92415666#post92415666

Keep to the last 10 or so pages for more up to date info.

Advertisement