Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem upgrading

Options
  • 25-09-2014 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

Hi, total newbie here.
    I bought an R9 280 to replace my ZOTAC 560TI, but it was much longer than the original card, so I had to take out some cables and move them around to accommodate it. I plugged everything back in, put on the cover, powered it up and got an error message saying "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media."

Is this a sign that I borked my hard drive when I was reconnecting it? I reconnected the SATA cable, but is there another cable to power it? Please help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Did you connect one cable to motherboard and the one from the power supply?

like this

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭justjustin

Sounds like you may have reconnected you hard drive(s) to a different port(s) than it was originally on.

You could try one of two things:

Reconnect the hard drive to it's original SATA port, problem is you probably don't know for sure which one that is.

Change the boot order in the BIOS. Enter the setup when you power on the machine first, you usually need to press F2 or F10 to get in there. Once in the BIOS, find the 'boot order' section (or something similar) and change the boot order from one drive to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭justjustin

Sounds like you may have reconnected you hard drive(s) to a different port(s) than it was originally on.

You could try one of two things:

Reconnect the hard drive to it's original SATA port, problem is you probably don't know for sure which one that is.

Change the boot order in the BIOS. Enter the setup when you power on the machine first, you usually need to press F2 or F10 to get in there. Once in the BIOS, find the 'boot order' section (or something similar) and change the boot order from one drive to the other.

Edit: Just noticed the part about the power cable. Yes, hard drives need two cables, one for data (the SATA cable) and one for power. It's quite hard to physically damage a HDD once the drive is not powered on and spinning.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Thanks a million! I was pulling out so many cables to fit the GPU in that I lost track of which ones were supposed to go back. That sorted it out, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

No problem.Try using this program for switching from Amd to Nvidia or vice verse as it gets rid of all the old gpu's files that can lead to issues.
    http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

• Advertisement

Ok, the driver is installed and working. However, a new problem has arisen. I was using a Viewsonic VX2210 monitor with integrated speakers. It's connected via a HDMI to DVI cable.
    With the previous graphics card I had sound, but with this, I don't. Any ideas?

http://imgur.com/AOkfuFP

I've found a workaround - using a 3.5mm audio cable from the back to the monitor. I still don't understand why it doesn't work via HDMI. The only thing that's changed is the graphics card; the monitor and cable are the same.

Thanks for the help. The graphics driver took a couple of attempts to install correctly. Plain sailing now!

Advertisement