Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car or Jeep

Options
  • 25-09-2014 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

So I am looking for a new car. I would like something sporty but I would also like a 4x4.

I would pick the manual for the VRS for obvious reason but I would like the Auto for the Sorento but the mpg suffers in comparison to the manual.

I already owned a 06 Sorento and I really enjoyed it hence why I am looking at one again. I don't need a full on 4x4 like Landcruisers etc so the Sorento seems like the best option.

Maybe the 06 XC90 would be a good buy!

Any review on the VRS?

01.jpg

2007_kia_sorento-pic-29789.png

009201.5-lg.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

im not a kia naysayer by any means.

but look at the octavia, now they sorento... now back to the octavia... now back to the sorento...

no competition between the choices there. not to mention you've already owned a sorento and life is too short to buy the same car twice :pac:

without knowing budget, mileage etc. what about a forester. sporty, 4wd, auto, car/ jeep compromise of a thing. probably thirsty in petrol form though.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/subaru-forester-auto/7697272

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

im not a kia naysayer by any means.

but look at the octavia, now they sorento... now back to the octavia... now back to the sorento...

no competition between the choices there. not to mention you've already owned a sorento and life is too short to buy the same car twice :pac:

without knowing budget, mileage etc. what about a forester. sporty, 4wd, auto, car/ jeep compromise of a thing. probably thirsty in petrol form though.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/subaru-forester-auto/7697272

I'm only spending 5k as im saving for a Mortgage, I do like the Forester but its petrol and the tax is equal to the 4x4.

The XC90 seems good but I have never driven one and don't know anybody that has. At least I know the Sorento is a good reliable jeep as far as my time with it.

The Auto XC90 aparently gets 35mpg while the Auto Sorento gets 30mpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

How about a Honda CRv. Reliable, bit of poke, comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭littlevillage

How about a Honda CRv. Reliable, bit of poke, comfy.

CRV is comfy and reliable yes. Grip is poor (only part-time 4wd) badly surfaced wet Irish back roads.. Mmmhh .. I don't think so.

Kia Sorrento has shockingly vague steering, (imagine steering a boat) left me white faced and white knuckled frown.png

btw if you have only 5k to spend why are you even looking at that Octavia VRs. You need to be looking at the older model .. not nearly as handsome, I'm afraid.

What I would recommend.

+1 for the Subaru Forester

also consider Nissan X-Trail.. very nice driver.

Decent examples of both can be got for 5K

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

Kia are just dirt,soon as they get outside guarantee they fall to bits,apart from having the Re sale value of a used toothbrush

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

Kia are just dirt,soon as they get outside guarantee they fall to bits,apart from having the Re sale value of a used toothbrush

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

very very far from the truth.

very very far from the truth.

Almost as far off as saying the CRV has poor grip(not you, I know). I have a CRV, and on decent tyres, it is welded to the road and happy to fly along at fast speeds, corners no bother. And I live in the arse end of the bogs. It embarrases a lot of cars in the handling department. Likes fuel though, deffo likes fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

Kia are a seriously underrated car

ive a 09 Sportage for work and its got 270k klms

still works fine.

Its totally changed my views on Kia as a brand.

@arthur daly
    Do you own a Kia or are you basing your statement on guesswork

Kia are a seriously underrated car

ive a 09 Sportage for work and its got 270k klms

still works fine.

Its totally changed my views on Kia as a brand.

@arthur daly
    Do you own a Kia or are you basing your statement on guesswork

Maybe the newer ones Stephen, I had an 03 sorrento and it wore its miles badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

So.....................

I went for Another 06 Sorento. 120k Miles, fully spec'd and tested for 2 years.

Advertised as Mint and thankfully it was mint.

They may not wear as well as a Landcruiser, Landrovers etc but your paying a hell of a lot less for it and you get a lot more spec to.

Heated electric leather seats, Heated front windscreen, electric sunroof, electric fold-in heated mirrors, cruise control, low range box, split tail gate, Auto-Tip tronic, climate control. I'm sure I've forgotten something.

I paid a lot less than 5k and you would not get another 06 Landcruisier. Landrover with that spec for the money I paid. They may be more robust but your paying the price for a name.

The newer Landcruisers and Landrover are not as reliable as the older versions and cost amd arm and a leg if there is a problem.

Got new AT Tyres also......Praying for snow :D Never understood why lads put normal road tyres on jeeps....Take an X5 for instance, with the width of the rear tyres it would just float on the ice, at least with AT tyres it wouod have some hope!

10649906_10201613585940909_1994527140454213555_n.jpg?oh=81714c964e49d6708399a455503dad58&oe=54F2E3F9

Advertisement