Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bedroom Window Escape onto Flat Roof Extension

Options
  • 24-09-2014 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

We are building a flat roof kitchen extension to the side of our 2 story house.

Above the extension are 2 bedrooms which have opening escape windows (as per regs).

I want to put a large roof light/window on the kitchen extension close to where it meets the wall of the house to improve the light getting into the middle of the kitchen. It doesn't have to open although that would be nice.

My architect tells me this cant be done because it will impede an exit from the bedroom windows above should a fire break out in the kitchen.

What i am wondering is:
    1 - Is he correct (which i assume he is in fairness)

2 - Is there any engineering work around that might solve the problem while keeping within the regs.
    E.g. getting a window with a 30/60 min fire rating or improving the alarm system with detection in every room.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Discuss with ARch starting the window 1m back from window, with some sort of barrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭nailer8

Thanks but putting the window 1m away would reduce its effectiveness.
    I am looking for a solution with a window within that 1m zone, preferably directly under the bedroom window.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,263 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

can you move the bedroom window?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭RITwing

It is techically possible but difficult and expensive. Any glazing here needs to have the following performances
    1. structural obviously.
    2. fire resistant - including insulative. no use to simply stay put if it becames as hot as a hobtop
    3. slip resistant. no use if it stays put , stays cool but is akin to a sheet of ice to walk over.

You have to imagine that whatever you do will not hinder fireman trying to rescue people from the windows.

I did find something - on paper - years ago. But it was so expensive it was a non runner and did not use it.
    (and I can't recall details - was a UK supplier)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

nailer8 wrote: »
    We are building a flat roof kitchen extension to the side of our 2 story house.

Above the extension are 2 bedrooms which have opening escape windows (as per regs).

I want to put a large roof light/window on the kitchen extension close to where it meets the wall of the house to improve the light getting into the middle of the kitchen. It doesn't have to open although that would be nice.

My architect tells me this cant be done because it will impede an exit from the bedroom windows above should a fire break out in the kitchen.

What i am wondering is:
    1 - Is he correct (which i assume he is in fairness)

2 - Is there any engineering work around that might solve the problem while keeping within the regs.
    E.g. getting a window with a 30/60 min fire rating or improving the alarm system with detection in every room.

Part B problem here.
    The glass needs to be structural toughened glass and fixed so that it can be walked on or you need to provide a guard around the window. In accordance with Part K. That's what the inner BCO a says to me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement