Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Megane timing belt snapped

Options
  • 24-09-2014 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

99 megane 1.4 petrol 16 valve engine.

I was driving along today, must have been doing no more than 30 and I think the timing belt suddenly snapped. Engine stopped and as it stopped I could hear the remains of a belt whipping around.
    Car was bought for 450 euro two years ago.
    Is it even worth taking the engine apart to check what happened?
    I understand there's more than a fair chance of bent valves etc, then new cam belt etc which requires a special tool to fit...which I don't have.

Need to get back on the road ASAP as I really need a car for getting to work! Can't afford a new car or to pay someone to fix this one. At times like this I think I might be as well off on the dole!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

Car is a write-off. Sell it for scrap and buy another.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The first question is: is it an interference engine? If not then in theory you can just get another belt and carry on driving.
    Is there any damage you can see?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Yep 99 Megane wouldn't even be worth 500 if it was running. Probably over 200,000 miles on clock . Cut off the catalytic converter if you can ul get €100 for that alone as strap as for the rest of it ud be lucky to get €150 .

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

I think it's an interference engine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

99 megane 1.4 petrol 16 valve engine.

I was driving along today, must have been doing no more than 30 and I think the timing belt suddenly snapped. Engine stopped and as it stopped I could hear the remains of a belt whipping around.
    Car was bought for 450 euro two years ago.
    Is it even worth taking the engine apart to check what happened?
    I understand there's more than a fair chance of bent valves etc, then new cam belt etc which requires a special tool to fit...which I don't have.

Need to get back on the road ASAP as I really need a car for getting to work! Can't afford a new car or to pay someone to fix this one. At times like this I think I might be as well off on the dole!

If its sixteen valve its not worth lifting the bonnet never mind doing anything else.

Cut your losses sell it for scrap and buy another cheap yoke it would cost you what you paid for it to do a belt and it wont work.

• Advertisement

Ah so not exactly good news then!

Ah so not exactly good news then!

Nope i seen lads timing them wrong starting them and bending eight valves on cranking.

You would pick up another one of them for small enough money anyway sure.

Just passed the nct last month and renewed the tax for three months dang it.
    Wonder if it would be worth trying to drop in a second hand engine if I could get one for 150 or so?
    I've swapped an engine in a Peugeot 306 before so could probably manage it...
    would have to hire or buy an engine hoist though. Does anyone know if it would be a straightforward swap ie no messing around with ecus and immobilisers etc?

Just passed the nct last month and renewed the tax for three months dang it.
    Wonder if it would be worth trying to drop in a second hand engine if I could get one for 150 or so?
    I've swapped an engine in a Peugeot 306 before so could probably manage it...
    would have to hire or buy an engine hoist though. Does anyone know if it would be a straightforward swap ie no messing around with ecus and immobilisers etc?

Not a hope of getting an engine for that money.

Just found an engine for €190, going to collect it tomorrow and am planning to swap the engine at the weekend....
    I'm putting a timing belt kit and water pump on the replacement engine before I fit it - anyone got any tips for doing this?

• Advertisement

Just found an engine for €190, going to collect it tomorrow and am planning to swap the engine at the weekend....
    I'm putting a timing belt kit and water pump on the replacement engine before I fit it - anyone got any tips for doing this?

You'll be down money by doing that not to mention the massive hassle.
    Scrap it and put the money towards a newer car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

As above, you are flogging a dead horse at this stage. You got the value out of the car. It is important to recognise when the time is right to cut your losses and move on.

Well when I really thought about it, I've just recently taxed it for six months and it went through the NCT less than a month ago.
    So if I scrapped it I'd be losing the tax money which is a couple of hundred euro.

And if all goes to plan, the engine swap will cost about 330 euro in total, and I doubt I could buy an NCT'd for a year car with six months tax on it for €330. Yes there is the hassle of swapping the engine but I'm a glutton for punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Get rid of it and move on.
    Your only throwing good money after bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Obvious question....

If you've the skills to do all that, why didn't you just sort the timing belt and water pump before she blew?!?

Makes a bit more sense with the tax already paid. It sounds like you might enjoy the act of fixing it so you might as well dive in. It will be a learning experience for sure.

endacl wrote: »
    Obvious question....

If you've the skills to do all that, why didn't you just sort the timing belt and water pump before she blew?!?

the fella i bought it from had assured me that the belt had recently been done so I didn't consider it a priority - there was no indication there was anything wrong until the moment it broke..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Go for it what's the worst that can happen. Keep us updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Well when I really thought about it, I've just recently taxed it for six months and it went through the NCT less than a month ago.
    So if I scrapped it I'd be losing the tax money which is a couple of hundred euro.

And if all goes to plan, the engine swap will cost about 330 euro in total, and I doubt I could buy an NCT'd for a year car with six months tax on it for €330. Yes there is the hassle of swapping the engine but I'm a glutton for punishment.

Send it to an authorised scrapper and you'll get the remaining tax refunded to you!

Just an update... Got the engine swapped over ok with the help of a haynes manyal. Hardest part was undoing the three seized and rusted nuts holding the exhaust onto the engine. Had to drop the sub frame to get access and even then it was a matter of filing the nuts and studs down to nothing with a power file.

Only issue I have now is the new engine is revving up and down a bit at idle almost like a pulsating rythym to it. Swapped over sensors from the old engine in case of faulty ones on the new engine but it made no difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Pulsing revving in idle can be idle control valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭gk5000

Advertisement