Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quitting job

Options
  • 24-09-2014 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all
    I was on the dole for 3 months, found a job and took it.
    I'm 3 days in and the boss is an out and out belittling bollocks to me.
    I've worked in plenty of places down through the years and I've never had such guff from one employer.
    I'm belittled and mocked at every opportunity.
    I was within inches of quitting today.
    I've told SW I got a job on Tuesday, I'm presuming I'm off the live registrar.

What are my options here? I've signed no contract, the only written confirmation is my boss emailing saying will you be starting Monday and me replying yes.
    Other than that. he doesn't have my PPS no, or bank details for wages etc.

I've read that if I quit my job I can't apply for dole for 9weeks. Is there any way I could say that the job didn't materialise? There's a few jobbridge schemes' or Springboard courses starting and I'd hop on them as soon as possible.

Any help appreciated here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

if its that bad quit, no job is worth your sanity in my book.

as for the welfare my understanding is not that you cant sign on for weeks, but you dont get paid immediatly. you should make your claim the day of or after finishing employment that way once your claim is processed its backdated as much as possible. if you dont claim immediatly you could lose money.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thank you for the reply.
    I rang my SW office and said that I got a job but it hasn't worked out, she seemed fairly sympathetic and asked to get a letter from the employer saying what's happened.
    I said to be honest I don't want to go back to them so she said to write down what happened and apply for a repeat claim.
    I'm not sure what to write in the letter, I might just 'accidentally' forget about see can I just fill in the repeat claim and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,734 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Just write down exactly what happened.

Give specific examples of what was said / done.

SW are well used t this sort of shyte - hell, they probably know about your new employer from the last dozen people who got jobs there and lasted only a few days each.

But you have to give them the documentation so they can process your claim.

Hoping everything worked out for you OP. Ive been working in a call centre myself for the last 3 months and i absolutely hate it. Cant see myself settling. Hoping to quit after christmas but the pitfalls of quitting could be very harmful in terms of building a career. This type of work just isnt for me though and im only fooling myself as well as potentially damaging my mental health by staying on.

Graduated with a higher degree in Business Studies during the summer but of course employers only seem to want vast experience. Should i quit this job it could prove a real setback and all the hard work the last few years could be undone with a blot on the Curriculum Vitae. But Im feeling very very low in the job so staying could potentially be more harmful.

Im also worried as to whether i would be eligible for the dole. How many weeks would i have to wait and would you be back paid from date of cease?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

To be honest, only staying 3 months in your first job, to quit and go on the dole will not look good on a CV, added to that you are more likely to get a job if you are already employed. I would give it a while more whilst aggressively job seeking. Only you know how bearable that is though.

If you quit a job without just cause, I think it is a 9 week wait, its not backdated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hoping everything worked out for you OP. Ive been working in a call centre myself for the last 3 months and i absolutely hate it. Cant see myself settling. Hoping to quit after christmas but the pitfalls of quitting could be very harmful in terms of building a career. This type of work just isnt for me though and im only fooling myself as well as potentially damaging my mental health by staying on.
    Would you work in retail instead? Looking for a job now may get you in easier whilst it's busy due to xmas/January sales period, than waiting after xmas.

I'm guessing the higher degree in Business Studies would probably stand to you better in a retail job?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

what line of work

(Caveat to this post - it happened in 2011. I don't know if SW has improved since then). I was on the dole about 7 months when I got a job. I was there a month, and they let me go . (not just me personally, they had a large contract cancelled at short notice and let half the company go as a result - including the three new hires). So I went back to social welfare. It was a double-edged sword. They had stopped my payments and registered that I was employed but - their paperwork hadn't caught up with itself. So I was still "on the live register", as in, I hadn't left their system. So they just restarted my payments again the next week which was handy. BUT (this was the catch) - it was considered to be a continuation of the year of SW allowance. So instead of starting all over again at that point and having 12 months of payments left, I just continued on from that point as if I had never stopped, so I only had 3 or 4 months of payments left.

I was frantically job hunting anyway, but I felt a bit hard done by in a way!! It upped the pressure a lot. However it all turned out ok in the end (I got a job). But be aware, that might happen to you.

Advertisement