Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TSM Economics and Maths HELP PLEASE

Options
  • 24-09-2014 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi everyone!

I am currently in 6th year and just like everyone else am in the process of deciding where I want to be next year. I have a fairly definite idea that I want to do Economics and Maths as a TSM in Trinity. I have a strong interest in Economics, keep up with it all the time and am fascinated by it. I am (on average) an A1 LCHL Maths student, I love the subject, have little to no trouble grasping concepts and am perfectly happy to work hard at it. I am one of those geeky people who gets an enormous sense of satisfaction when I solve a hard problem. I think Econ/Maths would be a good combination therefore. I have a few questions though that I would REALLY appreciate if someone could take some time to help me with as they're really worrying me and making me doubt my decision.

1. I have literally no experience and nobody to ask what 3rd Level Maths would comprise of, but I've heard it's very "abstract". Does this mean I have to be a prodigy??? MASSIVE CONCERN. I'm decent and I like the subject but I am no Euler by a country mile! Will this make it impossible for me???

2. Is the workload for a somewhat "heavy" TSM (I know "all degrees were created equal", I mean as in a TSM where the two subjects would have more lecture hours than e.g. EngLit) unmanageable? - I'm worried I won't have time for my little old life and because I'm not a prodigy I'll end up slaving away and stressing out 24/7 while everyone else is out having a ball and, well, being college-y.

3. I've heard the maths lecturers in Trinity can be unapproachable, difficult to understand, and not predisposed towards explaining (more just "this is how it is if you don't immediately understand it..you should"). This obviously worries me a lot! How true it is though I'll leave to y'all to please clarify

I'd love if someone who's doing the course/has done/something similar it could maybe help me out here, I know I've written a wee bit of an essay but thirty seconds and a few words worth of your time would really help me! Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

kcull wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

I am currently in 6th year and just like everyone else am in the process of deciding where I want to be next year. I have a fairly definite idea that I want to do Economics and Maths as a TSM in Trinity. I have a strong interest in Economics, keep up with it all the time and am fascinated by it. I am (on average) an A1 LCHL Maths student, I love the subject, have little to no trouble grasping concepts and am perfectly happy to work hard at it. I am one of those geeky people who gets an enormous sense of satisfaction when I solve a hard problem. I think Econ/Maths would be a good combination therefore. I have a few questions though that I would REALLY appreciate if someone could take some time to help me with as they're really worrying me and making me doubt my decision.

1. I have literally no experience and nobody to ask what 3rd Level Maths would comprise of, but I've heard it's very "abstract". Does this mean I have to be a prodigy??? MASSIVE CONCERN. I'm decent and I like the subject but I am no Euler by a country mile! Will this make it impossible for me???

2. Is the workload for a somewhat "heavy" TSM (I know "all degrees were created equal", I mean as in a TSM where the two subjects would have more lecture hours than e.g. EngLit) unmanageable? - I'm worried I won't have time for my little old life and because I'm not a prodigy I'll end up slaving away and stressing out 24/7 while everyone else is out having a ball and, well, being college-y.

3. I've heard the maths lecturers in Trinity can be unapproachable, difficult to understand, and not predisposed towards explaining (more just "this is how it is if you don't immediately understand it..you should"). This obviously worries me a lot! How true it is though I'll leave to y'all to please clarify

I'd love if someone who's doing the course/has done/something similar it could maybe help me out here, I know I've written a wee bit of an essay but thirty seconds and a few words worth of your time would really help me! Thank you :)

I'm not Maths/TSM, but I am Mathematics
    "
    "

This is bollocks, every lecturer I have had has been more than helpful, and is willing to explain anything again either in a lecture or in private, do not worry about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tears in Rain

kcull wrote: »

Hey, dunno where you've heard that, but I'd totally disagree. but Of all the departments I've ever had contact with, I've found more than any other, the lecturers in the maths department are the friendliest, the most helpful and most willing to engage with undergraduates.

Advertisement