Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men's Shorts for DC Marathon?

Options
  • 24-09-2014 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend good comfortable pair of men’s shorts for the Marathon.

I want to buy a decent pair asap. I use bodyglide and the pair I have never gave me too much problems on long runs so far, they’re a cheap pair of Karrimor I got in Sportworld.
    However I ran a half marathon, which is the longest I ran at race pace and well I was pretty raw afterwards.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭shergar22

kneejerk wrote: »

I want to buy a decent pair asap. I use bodyglide and the pair I have never gave me too much problems on long runs so far, they’re a cheap pair of Karrimor I got in Sportworld.
    However I ran a half marathon, which is the longest I ran at race pace and well I was pretty raw afterwards.

I'd be more concerned at getting a pair of undershorts (bicycle-shorts without the padding). Once you've those, your existing pair should do you fine. The undershorts are vital for anything over 10 miles as they keep everything tucked in and no loose fabric is rubbing against your thighs, nether regions. That and a dollop of Vaseline should see you through :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

shergar22 wrote: »
    I'd be more concerned at getting a pair of undershorts (bicycle-shorts without the padding). Once you've those, your existing pair should do you fine. The undershorts are vital for anything over 10 miles as they keep everything tucked in and no loose fabric is rubbing against your thighs, nether regions. That and a dollop of Vaseline should see you through :D

Instead of that- just get a pair of proper running shorts. Amphib King/ Runways sell em. Man up and wear the short shorts... you'll look like a complete herb w/ bike shorts underneath GAA shorts...and it will slow you down apron .99999 of a sec per mile

(may not actually be true)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kneejerk

dukeraoul wrote: »
    Instead of that- just get a pair of proper running shorts. Amphib King/ Runways sell em. Man up and wear the short shorts... you'll look like a complete herb w/ bike shorts underneath GAA shorts...and it will slow you down apron .99999 of a sec per mile

(may not actually be true)

I intend to buy a proper pair, just looking for suggestions on which ones to get?

Amphibian King only have one pair on their website. Saucony Throthle shorts…Anyone have these?

Runways have none on their site!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

I intend to buy a proper pair, just looking for suggestions on which ones to get?

Amphibian King only have one pair on their website. Saucony Throthle shorts…Anyone have these?

Runways have none on their site!

I'd just pop into the shop, ask the lads and maybe try a pair or two on?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

though I like Amphibian King for runners, I think the larger Elverys stores have a better selection of shorts.
    (but yeah, running shorts - with nothing underneath - are what you want)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

RayCun wrote: »
    though I like Amphibian King for runners, I think the larger Elverys stores have a better selection of shorts.
    (but yeah, running shorts - with nothing underneath - are what you want)

Shopping in the wrong AK if you ask me! :)

Long shorts, short shorts, in between shorts, bright ones, black ones, shiny ones, split shorts.....

OP - the undershorts is the best advice (I don't sell them) and use Bodyglide it doesn't get greasy or run down your leg when it warms up ;)

:)
    the three I've shopped in have all had a small enough selection of shorts

(you can take your undershorts recommendation back to the dark side :pac:)

AKW wrote: »

Long shorts, short shorts, in between shorts, bright ones, black ones, shiny ones, split shorts.....

OP - the undershorts is the best advice (I don't sell them) and use Bodyglide it doesn't get greasy or run down your leg when it warms up ;)

in between shorts I guess......don’t want my ass cheeks on display...colour does not matter at all.

If I went to Oranmore what would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I bought the Nike drifit running shorts in Elverys. They are the short type. I got two pairs and have them nearly a year and they are in general very good. However I find once I go over 20km my inner thighs chaff as the inner liner rubs. I use vaseline. Sometimes it works very well and I get no chaffing. Other times a little bit. Lots of vaseline I guess. There are no main pockets just a tiny small pocket on inside at back to store a key. Bicycle shorts or body armour may help but could be very warm plus the possibility of the annoying feeling of getting a wedgie. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

My 2 cent
    - if the shorts are chafing, then a new pair of split shorts might suit you.
    - if in fact your thighs rub (big muscly legs?), then split shorts won't help, and you need lycra shorts (as undershorts, or just as shorts).

I don't actually see a downside to lycra for everyone, unless it's very warm. But lots of runners do wear 'running' (split, loose, short) shorts...maybe they're just shy.

startfitness have a good sale on at the mo. swimcyclerun generally have solid stock. That said, I bought a perfectly good pair of Mizuno lycras in AK Bray last week, so no need to go online if you prefer to shop local.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I wear these and theyre the business:

http://cw-x.com/ExploreProducts.aspx?gender=mens&product=tights&by=collection&sub=ventilator

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

AKW wrote: »

Have to say, every time I go to AK, their stock for tops and shorts is poor. Great for runners though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭ooter

Always wear the same shorts that I bought in lidl about 4 yrs ago and they're great,but I spilled paint on them recently while decorating so wore a pair of short shorts for the HM on Saturday.hadn't worn them for any longer than a 5 mile race/run up to that and sure enough after about 7-8 miles they started to chafe and were pretty uncomfortable by the end of the race.thankfully I found that out now and not on the day of DCM,I'll be wearing the lidl shorts and balls to the paint stains.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

I wear Ronhill Cargo Shorts for any long run / race as they have several gel pockets which would eliminate the need for a gel belt.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ronhill-trail-cargo-short-aw14-2/?lang=en&curr=EUR&dest=6&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=ronhill%20trail%20cargo%20short&utm_campaign=ronhill&KEYWORD=ronhill%20trail%20cargo%20short&MATCHTYPE=Search&AD_ID_G=21982719461&KEYWORD_K=ronhill%20trail%20cargo%20short&TRACKING_ID_K=285706&CHANNEL_K=google&CAMPAIGN_K=ronhill&AdGROUP_K=ronhill_Trail%20Cargo%20Short&gclid=CPyM-cfx-sACFQRs2wodNDUANw

I wore them in the marathon last year and they worked a treat.

Whatever short you choose I'd get them soon and start wearing then on your LSRs to make sure they're comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

For marathons these are the job

Raceready

I still use Vaseline because I have big fat thighs

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Some Kind of Wizard

Think I've become addicted to split shorts, so would recommend them! Got a pair of New Balance splits on sportshoes.com about a year ago for about €12. Great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

have a look at the Nike two-in-one range. They have build in "compression" shorts. I use them for anything over 20 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

ger664 wrote: »
    For marathons these are the job

Raceready

I still use Vaseline because I have big fat thighs

They're my go-to shorts for anything above 20 miles.
    7 pockets are overkill though. If I fill them too much they don't stay up any more.

I also use vaseline because of my big fat thighs. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

Another vote for Ronhill Cargos - the dogs dodahs... got some around a month ago, worn them for all long runs and a few races inc Dublin HM.
    I spent a long time looking for my size, loads of places out of stock, John Buckley Sports had all sizes in.

Vaseline no, bodyglide yes - that stuff is unbelievable!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

PaulieC wrote: »
    have a look at the Nike two-in-one range. They have build in "compression" shorts. I use them for anything over 20 miles.

I wear the women's version of those for long runs, they're great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

eoinín wrote: »
    I wear Ronhill Cargo Shorts for any long run / race as they have several gel pockets which would eliminate the need for a gel belt.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ronhill-trail-cargo-short-aw14-2/?lang=en&curr=EUR&dest=6&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=ronhill%20trail%20cargo%20short&utm_campaign=ronhill&KEYWORD=ronhill%20trail%20cargo%20short&MATCHTYPE=Search&AD_ID_G=21982719461&KEYWORD_K=ronhill%20trail%20cargo%20short&TRACKING_ID_K=285706&CHANNEL_K=google&CAMPAIGN_K=ronhill&AdGROUP_K=ronhill_Trail%20Cargo%20Short&gclid=CPyM-cfx-sACFQRs2wodNDUANw

Whatever short you choose I'd get them soon and start wearing then on your LSRs to make sure they're comfortable.

+1 on these for long runs / Marathons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 capaleen

last three marathons in the ronhill trail cargo shorts, as well as overpriced leg lube. they are the job

...considering the shorter split version for the next day out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

eoinín wrote: »

And who got them for you? As a kind present??

got my new shorts the other day
    Nike-5cm-Tempo-Split-Mens-Running-Shorts-320839_479_A.jpg?fmt=jpg&qty=85&wid=620&hei=620&bgc=F5F5F5
    and took them out for a test run this morning
    tumblr_lllqblvvHa1qivw17o1_500.png
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Another + for the Ronhill Cargo Shorts - although I go with the short shorts version - pockets are ideal for gels.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ronhill-advance-racer-cargo-short-aw14/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Looking here in Ashtown(AK)

2 inch split in Puma,Mizuno,Pearl Izumi and Adidas.
    5inch(zip pocket) puma,Mizuno and asics
    7inch adidas,Puma,Mizuno and aspics(2 in 1)
    Cep compression shorts.

PaulieC wrote: »

Got a pair of these.

Wore them for one long run and a few short runs.

They are anti-chaffing, but the compression element still feels a little weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Bladeserver

I got an excellent pair in Elvery's. Under Armour with compression built into them. They were between 35/40 euro if I recall. Zip pocket on the back of them (few little bits to store). I saw them in the Galway branch last Friday but not sure about Dub.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

rom wrote: »
    :eek::eek:
    Jesus rom did you have that bookmarked or something?

Anyway I've worn those nike 2 in ones for a few years gradually going shorter leg length until I eventually made the leap to short-split shorts, fond them so comfortable for long stuff.
    I was a bit self concious on my first public outing with them - but if I spent my time being bothered about stuff like that I have stayed a fat bastard and never ran to begin with.
    Go short split and enjoy the liberation.

Advertisement