Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a cheap tablet for a child?

Options
  • 24-09-2014 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry guys if this has been done before but like everything else new versions / upgrades are always coming round so I would appreciate any help or advice.

My daughter wants to get her three and half year old son a wee tablet for Xmas. He's got into the habit of using his 2 uncles Nexus when he comes to visit here and can manage them right up to and including downloading stuff from the play store (thankfully the credit card isn't registered there)

To be honest I cant even recall the games he plays but I suppose thats not really important (I think). She knows she can buy the tablets designed specifically for children but they are quite expensive and she's after something maybe in the €50 - €70 price range. Something sturdy with plenty of built in (or expandable) memory would be great. No need for the likes of cameras etc

So would anyone have any recommendations?

Many thanks. :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Nexus 7 2012 comes to mind but that is a bit above the price range.

It was available for €114 I think in Argos but not anymore, it can probably be gotten for ~€100 refurbished.

There are children designed cases you can get for protection, there's a silicone one on Amazon I think, the only bad thing about them is that the case gets manky dirty.

Be sure to put a screen protector on the tablet too in case it gets damaged.

I'll see can I find some links for the aforementioned items.

You could also get a Chinese Brand Android Tablet from the likes of AliExpress/TMart/DHGate/GearBeast etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Many thanks for the reply Alan.

Yeah the refurbished Nexus 7 is what I got one of the lads here earlier in the year. Think it was around €99 at the time on Zavvi or The Hut but I might have had a discount code to get it at that but cant recall.

Thats what the young grandson is used playing with when he visits although its a bit pricy for mum to buy though. Im not really into technical stuff but the Nexus 7 appears to be very sturdy and its a great idea about buying a protective silicone case for whatever tablet she buys. I wouldn't worry about the dirt as Im sure they can be washed in some way.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of buying from one of the Chinese sellers but delivery and customs can be a bit dodgy and then the big one is - would the tablet be strong or sturdy enough to withstand the odd fall or excessive finger and thumb pushing on the screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Was having a root around and I came across this 7 inch tablet and as Im half clueless on these matters Im just wondering if anyone has any opinions or comments on it?

Just as a reminder it will be a Xmas pressie for a 3.5 year old child so its just games that will be played on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

Don't waste your money on that cheap crap from China. I bought one for my son (he is about same age) and it was broken in a week. Its made of cheap flimsy plastic and the screen cracks easily.

There was a deal on the Samsung tab 3 8" a while back for €99 so I got that then and bought a rubber case on eBay for it. Still going strong and its been. dropped on the floor many times!!!

Id stay away from the no name cheap rubbish and get the nexus if I were you. Get a good rubber case for it and you will be good to go. Buy cheap buy twice :)

Advertisement