Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mystery photos

Options
  • 24-09-2014 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

I have a samsung galaxy 5 and recently noticed some photos on it of people I did not know. I wasnt really concerned but I put one up on fb and asked does anyone know these people. (there were other pictures of children but I didnt want to put them up) my daughter immediately identified on of the girls as a girl she used to work with a few years ago. then it get really strange. apparently this girl who is not on social media and taken that picture 7 yrs ago with a disposable camera and had it stuck on a wall in her home but it dissapeared. the other pictures were also belonging to this girl, one of her child and another of her ex's nephew ( a small child) who had died a few years ago. I contacted Vodafone but they were unable to give me any help or explanation. I also contacted the guards just to see if they would know how this could happen. I am not really worried about it but the girl in question is rather freeked out by it. Would anyone know how this could have happened?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Did you put in an SD card recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

What folder were the photos in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

brand new phone? sd card from an old camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

daytob wrote: »
    That's probably the reason, take it out and see if the pictures still on your phone? Then inspect the SD card on a PC, better visibility (of folders etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I have Samsung Galaxy and there are 2 folders of photos:
    1 = gallery
    2 = photos

But in your case if you go to the facebook app , and press photos , I bet these photos are there .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

daytob wrote: »

He said the photos were from an old disposable camera though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,408 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Did your daughter recently log into facebook on your phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

the phone was bought last march and had to get an new "small" sim so I doubt if they were on my old sim. My daughter had never seen the photo before. this girl is NOT on facebook. My daughter is living in nz so she was not using my phone. the photos appear on both gallery and photos. but that may be with me messing around the last few days I could have copied from one to the other. as an aside.. allthedoyles can I delete all photos from either gallery or photos as I am running out of space in my phone.

Photos aren't stored on the SIM.

If you drop one of the photos here it will tell you more about it - date, camera used etc.

http://exifdata.com/

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

If I was a holy man, I'd say your phone is haunted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

antodeco wrote: »

+1

Ghost pictures sound creepy all right...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭b318isp

Some apps drop pics onto your phone associated with contacts you may have, e.g. Viber. I have seen something like this, and Viber was the culprit.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭WexIan

Yes if you are using Viber they could be pics posted by contacts who are in your phonebook to their Viber profile and you have Sync contacts ticked which means your viber contacts are added to your devices contacts.
    I recently downloaded pics from my Samsung Galaxy S3 to my PC and found all these strange pics, which after a while I realised were from Viber.

I do have viber but I dont even know this girl and dont have her on my contacts. Also, my daughter never saw those pictures. very confusing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Most likely they were on the sim somehow, I'd pop them onto a spare card, in case anyone wanted them, particularly the more precious ones. Then just delete them from the phone/sim. It's just some strange coincidence really.

Most likely they were on the sim somehow...

Nope. Not possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

I think people are confusing sim cards with SD cards.

As someone posted here that it could be Viber somehow syncing the pictures to your device but I'm not familiar with Viber.

Its a bit of a coincidence that your daughter knows the person in question.
    Where did you get the SD card (memory card) ?
    Was it a spare SD card that your daughter used to have?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

That's actually what I meant to put, SD card, not sim, d'oh!

I dont have any sd card.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Yep there are times that photos from peoples profiles etc would be synced to peoples phone, also maybe check whatsapp, facebook and twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

So nobody even knows how the photo got from a disposable camera into digital form?

So nobody even knows how the photo got from a disposable camera into digital form?

That's why I suggested checking the EXIF data, to see if it was a photo of a photo taken on that phone or whatever.

I suppose we can just carry on blindly guessing though...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

gubby wrote: »
    I dont have any sd card.

The phone has internal storage. For example, Viber stores downloaded photos of contacts in /viber/media/User photos/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

gubby wrote: »
    I dont have any sd card.

The plot thickens!

Please PLEASE take Kenny Logins advice and upload the photo here : http://exifdata.com/
    It's private, it only takes a min and it's very easy to do. If you need help just ask. It'll tell you what sort of camera initially took the photo that ended up on your phone. If it's an iphone or android it'll mean you're definitely just downloading someones profile pics from somewhere.

If it turns out to be a 1980s disposable you'll be looking fame and fortune in the face. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

antodeco wrote: »

I ain't afraid of no ghost! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

Are you logged in to the phone with your own Google account and not somebody's else by any chance?

Just spit balling here but....

Somebody has scanned these photos using a scanner connected to a PC....and...it's somehow backed up to a Google account...which just so happens to be the account that's logged into your phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

This should nearly be in the information security forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

It's up there with the epic I found a safe AH thread.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056884317/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

It's up there with the epic I found a safe AH thread.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056884317/1
    I was there maaan. Where were you when the safe was opened?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

There was something about photos, laptops, Kies (yuch), and general phone haunting from gubby here, before:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91377941

Any connection, pardon the pun!!

Advertisement