Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax Liability on Rented Property

Options
  • 24-09-2014 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

I am living in Dublin City but hope to 'return' to Kilkenny City in the future. I am going to buy a house now (not impulse, the right house has become available) and rent it for a couple of years before I move home.

I will register as a landlord and declare it as income. I am on the higher rate of tax (self employed). I will need a mortgage.
    Let us say I will get €610 month rent for the house = 12 x €610 = €7,320 tax per year. Do I need to declare €7,320 extra 'Income' at the end of the tax year and am I then liable for 52% tax on this? Is there any discounts/deductions I can apply?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

Basically you have it right. You can deduct a portion of mortgage interest, any repairs and maintenance and any expense you incur in relation to the property. You could also claim a capital allowance for furniture.

You take the income minus the expenses and pay 52% on profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Any pre-letting expenses (prior to first letting) are disallowed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

You can set aside 75% of the interest against income and any repairs insurance letting and other expenses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Consider valuing fittings etc and aim wear and tear thereon but be realistic with value

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Read the guide to rental income in the stickies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Jesper

You can set aside 75% of the interest against income and any repairs insurance letting and other expenses

For Example
    Variable Mortgage over 15 years = €638.90 (5.15%).

Rent for a month is going to be around €610.

So what is 75% of interest in this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Jesper wrote: »
    For Example
    Variable Mortgage over 15 years = €638.90 (5.15%).

Rent for a month is going to be around €610.

So what is 75% of interest in this case?

Step 1: Get an annual interest statement for the mortgage.

Step 2: Read how much interest it says.

Step 3: multiply that figure by .75.

Advertisement