Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Root s5 and install cyanogenmod

Options
  • 23-09-2014 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

Any guides to do the following

Root my s5

Install cyanogenmod latest firmware

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 middleC

you'll find all info you need at xda developers forum

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

middleC wrote: »
    you'll find all info you need at xda developers forum

Had a look but there are so many version of the s5 not sure which guide to use

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Had a look but there are so many version of the s5 not sure which guide to use
    Yours will be the International version.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Is it worth installing CM 11? anyone using it? Any downsides?

Is it worth installing CM 11? anyone using it? Any downsides?
    Its stock Android 4.4.4 with lots of OEM style extras and preferences - nothing stands out as 3rd party. The CM team even report bugs to AOSP and are now an official Google Apps provider (since the Oppo N1). Its fast, fluid, no bloat and constantly updated. Even the nighties are stable enough for daily use.

• Advertisement

Any particular version to go for? I don't want to have any problems with features.

Any particular version to go for? I don't want to have any problems with features.
    What phone you got, S5 as well?

advertsfox wrote: »
    What phone you got, S5 as well?

Yep

Yep

Are you rooted?

Do I need to unlock the bootloader

My last phone was routes and had cm installed and I loved it move up to s5 brand new and **** me the amount of bloat ware is shocking

Are you rooted?

Do I need to unlock the bootloader

My last phone was routes and had cm installed and I loved it move up to s5 brand new and **** me the amount of bloat ware is shocking

Rooted last night and installed Philz custom recovery, took about 10 minutes.

I installed a version of CM11 and have found a couple of bugs - I might be on an old version however but there is no updates available.

• Advertisement

Rooted last night and installed Philz custom recovery, took about 10 minutes.

I installed a version of CM11 and have found a couple of bugs - I might be on an old version however but there is no updates available.
    Can you verify the model number of your S5 (in the About section) please? This is most likely your codename (klte) and downloads:

http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=klte

Also make sure you are using the latest CM compatible Gapps from below:

http://itvends.com/gapps/gapps-kk-20140606-signed.zip

Can you verify the model number of your S5 (in the About section) please? This is most likely your codename (klte) and downloads:

http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=klte

Also make sure you are using the latest CM compatible Gapps from below:

http://itvends.com/gapps/gapps-kk-20140606-signed.zip

It's the SM-G900F I have - standard vodafone.

It's the SM-G900F I have - standard vodafone.
    Great, your S5 is "klte" so the newest nightly is for you here - http://download.cyanogenmod.com/get/jenkins/84727/cm-11-20140924-NIGHTLY-klte.zip

Bugs are fixed daily, keep an eye on the change log under Settings > About > CyanogenMod Updates (tap the update name for the log).

Set the below to Updates: All Versions and Check for Updates: Daily or Weekly - http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Updating

cEGB5lN.jpg

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I've been flicking between cyanogenmod, and omega rom. Omega rom is probably a bit of a cop out (still has touch wiz). I didn't seem to be getting updates on CM, but I was downloading from xda, rather tham the CM website.

Any of ye find the S5 get very hot on cyanogenmod? *will download this version and test later!*

MarkR wrote: »
    Any of ye find the S5 get very hot on cyanogenmod? *will download this version and test later!*
    Test it again, make sure to do a clean install (wipe data, cache, media) jumping to the nightlies from TouchWiz and only use the CM Updater for the latest releases.

Oh and don't forget to Nandroid backup ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

I've been flicking between cyanogenmod, and omega rom. Omega rom is probably a bit of a cop out (still has touch wiz). I didn't seem to be getting updates on CM, but I was downloading from xda, rather tham the CM website.

Did you have development versions (including nightlies) selected?

Test it again, make sure to do a clean install (wipe data, cache, media) jumping to the nightlies from TouchWiz and only use the CM Updater for the latest releases.

Oh and don't forget to Nandroid backup ;)

Currently generating MD5 checksums. :D Had been using this thread for download links. Full wipes were done, but will be going it again.
    Fresh Pots wrote: »
    Did you have development versions (including nightlies) selected?

Yes, but perhaps I was using the unofficial one, that was the issue?

Anyway, 15 minute of downloading left.

I installed earlier. Had been using a version from August that was buggy, this has been good so far. The camera force closed a couple of times but seems fine now. To use it the phone seems like my old Nexus 5 with a few nice extra options. It flies along without the bloatware whereas it could be laggy in stock form.

Changing my mind about selling it on now.

Thanks for taking the time to help advertsfox!

I installed earlier. Had been using a version from August that was buggy, this has been good so far. The camera force closed a couple of times but seems fine now. To use it the phone seems like my old Nexus 5 with a few nice extra options. It flies along without the bloatware whereas it could be laggy in stock form.

Changing my mind about selling it on now.

Thanks for taking the time to help advertsfox!
    Happy to help, try out the Google Camera on the Play Store if you still get camera issues - it's very nice and links in with the Photos+ app (swipe to the left for photos).

Also, for an even nicer launcher - give Nova Launcher a go. Tonnes of features (including hidden apps, gestures, Google Now "Ok Google" integration etc).

I've it installed now, bought nova launcher yesterday actually. So far, so good.

• Advertisement

i should have mentioned I'm trying to do this on a mac if anyone could point me in the right direction

There isn't any windows software required to root the phone, and once you have that, you can install a new recovery. For the recovery, you need to use odin. Any chance of borrowing a windows machine?

i should have mentioned I'm trying to do this on a mac if anyone could point me in the right direction
    You just need ADB and Fastboot to run, easily done:

http://htc-one.wonderhowto.com/how-to/install-adb-fastboot-mac-os-x-send-commands-your-htc-one-0151178/

This phone is so much better than it was stock now. Battery life seems about the same but I've been using it heavily the last day or so it's hard to compare properly.

This phone is so much better than it was stock now. Battery life seems about the same but I've been using it heavily the last day or so it's hard to compare properly.
    You should check out the Performance profiles (above About / Developer Options) where you can switch between Standard, Performance and Battery Saving - there is even a toggle from Quick Settings. The screenshots are from my Moto G, the toggles are all customizable with tonnes of options, even a live Camera one.

JtFoAi5.pngm6WBFvI.png

Still going well. Screenshot attached of my current set up.

323362.png

Keeping it pretty simple. Nova launcher and these buttons

One minor annoyance. My mobile network displays correctly as Tesco Mobile on the handset, but when I connect to bluetooth, it displays O2-IRL.

Doesn't happen on stock.

One minor annoyance. My mobile network displays correctly as Tesco Mobile on the handset, but when I connect to bluetooth, it displays O2-IRL.
    What are you connecting to via Bluetooth?

What are you connecting to via Bluetooth?

iO Talk2 Advanced Bluetooth Handsfree Car Kit

Were you O2 before or has another phone connected to it was with O2?

• Advertisement

Were you O2 before or has another phone connected to it was with O2?

No, it only shows up like this when I'm using custom roms. I had assumed it was because Tesco Mobile is a virtual network (is that the phrase) running on the O2 network.

Advertisement