Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2009 Ford Focus Diesel engine failure

Options
  • 23-09-2014 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anybody might be able to advise or make any suggestions on what I can do.

I purchased a 2009 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI Zetec from a car dealer on the Naas Road 5 Months and 2 days ago. The Car has 65,000 miles on it now (59,000 miles when purchased) came with 3 month or 3000 KM warranty (its out of warranty by 2 months and 2,000 miles) It was given a full service by approved ford mechanics 2 weeks after I bought the car (when I took it for a test drive 5 months ago the service light was on and was then reset by the dealer without a service so I didn't want to take any chances). The mechanic that serviced it said it didn't look like it was serviced in a while before that and reported that on the service report. Anyway, I paid €9500 for it, it was also just given another oil (Castrol Edge 5w30) & filter (halfords) change (by me) a week ago (as I've heard horror stories about Turbo failure).

I took the car on holiday to the UK last week and 2nd day into the holiday there was an engine failure with a ticking\knocking noise.

While driving, it started to slowly tick under the bonnet and started to get louder and louder. Pulled over and turned off the engine, left it off for 2 minutes and checked the oil as I thought maybe something I did after my oil change, oil was there and perfect level (7/10th full). Started the engine again and then noise stopped, started to drive it again and after about 300 meters it started to tick\knock again, but started to get gradually louder and louder. As I was in the UK had to try and get back to where I was staying but only made it to a services about a mile after it started knocking\ticking again. There is now a loud knocking\ticking direct from the engine, no error or warning lights on the dash. No noticeable or sudden loss of power, no leaks or hissing.

AA Mechanic came to look at it and checked the fuel injectors but said they were fine, said it was Internal engine failure and towed it to a ford dealer in the UK. Ford Dealer in the UK checked it and moved the injectors around to see if the noise moved around but it didn't so they have advised same on internal engine failure.

Car has been towed home to Ireland and another mechanic has said same again, internal engine failure and Im looking between €4000-€6000 for a new or 2nd hand\recon engine depending on what way I want to go and then labor as well to swap.

I've been told that the only way to really tell what has failed is to strip down the engine and nobody wants to do this as its too much labor.

I've been onto the dealer I bought the car from to see if they can help. Having spent almost €10,000 on the car in just 5 months Im hoping that they might go some way to assist (but Im not expecting this to be done for free, Im realistic), they have advised to leave it with them and they would get back to me but will probably want to look at the car.

I have a couple of questions:

Has anybody any experience of this issue in a relatively new car (5 years old) with average milage?
    Does anybody know a mechanic that might be willing to strip down an engine or recondition it at a reduced price (even if they have the car for a month or two)?
    Would I have any comeback with the dealer that sold the car in the first place?

I cant afford to spend another 4-6 thousand on a car that just cost me 10K. I have a feeling the dealer that I bought the car from will probably say the car is out of warranty so they are not obliged to offer any discount or assistance with this.

I'd appreciate any help or advice as I'm loosing my mind here thinking about a €4000 bill!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Any failure is possible with a 1.6tdci focus as that Peugeot engine is the biggest disaster of an engine specially if it missed even one service good luck. I had a 07 one and although the engine didn't go it completely wrecked my head with problems and I was never so delighted to see the back of a car.

Anyway in your case I think your doing the right thing contacting the dealer and see if they'd even cover labour or something like that and you buy the engine or something like that. I'd personally put a second hand engine in it and get rid of it. Your car sounds like it had a bit of hardship and they won't take any hardship. Although if your not sure then maybe that engine can be salvaged. Hope you can get it sorted as cheaply as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭farrells

Thanks, ill let you know how it goes but its positive so far with the dealer, spoken to him today and arranged to get the car over so they can look at the engine but hes confident we can sort something out, its making me feel a whole lot better for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

Hi farewells. Colton motors do a great deal on replacement 1.6 engines 2300 + 400 to fit

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭farrells

Hi,

Just thought I'd update on what has happened,

The dealer took the car in and from the outset said that they wouldnt wash their hands of this and it shoudnt have happened. They stripped the engine down and basically found most of the internal engine components had damage (crankshaft, big end bearings, head gasket, crankshaft seals, injector seals, injector washers, conrods and a large number of smaller parts\fixings\seals and gubbins!).

They couldnt find a definate cause for this damage but were onto ford to see if they had any experience of this and it was suggested that a possible cause could be dirty\doctored diesel (i have heard of a few petrol stations in Dublin being hit with this a few weeks back - but not the one I normaly goto)

Anyway, they advised it would either be a 2nd hand engine (not recommended) or a fully rebuilt engine with new components. The 2nd hand engine wasnt recommended as they would normally only get upto 3 months warranty and it would cost approx the same as a rebuild. The rebuild was recommended as it would be warrantied for 6 months on parts and labour, plus its practically a brand new engine, plus they would change the timing belt and water pump as part of this (normally about 400-450 on its own). The cost of this work would be €2959 (trade) including all parts and labour, but because this shouldnt have happened, they were able to approve to cover 50% of the price on goodwill so would only cost me €1400 in total (including the initial investigations and tear down), they have also covered the cost of replacment diesel and cleaning the fuel system out as well!

It was a bit of a sting when I first got this but thinking about it and looking at all the work and parts covered to get this back on the road, I think I was blessed and its a bargin at the price.

I got the car back 2 days ago and the engine sounds perfect, I'm just delighted to get this back and taking it well easy with the "new" engine and going to drive it like im breaking in a new engine for the first 1000miles, so far so good and I think it was the best outcome I could have ever gotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Good, always look for a longer guarantee when buying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,488 ✭✭✭✭guil

I think you should name the dealer cos that's a very good outcome to such a horrible situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Although it was a pain to have to pay 1400 euro. I think you done the right thing you basically have a new engine and warranty. In fairness I think the dealer was fair enough with you. What I will say is service it every 15k km at least from now on using 5w30 oil that meets the ford standard as well as the msc standard. Buy decent diesel from large brands topaz and esso is what I use nothing else. Keep an eye on the engine dip it for oil every month and have a look over it to make sure there is no oil or coolant leaks if you do all this you should have a reliable car with a happy engine. Best of luck with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Bpmull wrote: »
    Although it was a pain to have to pay 1400 euro. I think you done the right thing you basically have a new engine and warranty. In fairness I think the dealer was fair enough with you. What I will say is service it every 15k km at least from now on using 5w30 oil that meets the ford standard as well as the msc standard. Buy decent diesel from large brands topaz and esso is what I use nothing else. Keep an eye on the engine dip it for oil every month and have a look over it to make sure there is no oil or coolant leaks if you do all this you should have a reliable car with a happy engine. Best of luck with it.

to add to this...

-It should be the low sap 5W30 oil

-Take it for a long 40 mile drive at 60/70 every month to have the dpf regenerate and to avoid it clogging up

-Make sure the injector copper seals are not leaking, if they are there will be a black carbon build up around the affected injector, common problem on the 1.6 tdci/hdi that eventually blows the turbo.

-The egr can also block up and stick open. TOP tip, remove the egr abd soak it in WD40 over night then clean and dry it. should do the trick
    The egr can also be blanked off by a £5 blanking plate, the engine will then run only on clean air and not recycled exhaust gases.

Other than that they are a fine reliable engine! lol :rolleyes:

Advertisement