Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert - history and business

Options
  • 23-09-2014 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi :) I am currently in 5th year and I am already struggling in Chemistry so I really think I should change to a different subject :( I am torn between History and Business and im not sure which to pick. I would appreciate any advice on people who do either History or Business and how ye find it :) Thanks! X

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Val97

Hi :) I am currently in 5th year and I am already struggling in Chemistry so I really think I should change to a different subject :( I am torn between History and Business and im not sure which to pick. I would appreciate any advice on people who do either History or Business and how ye find it :) Thanks! X

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

I do both and I'm in 6th year.

History is interesting once you get past the Irish stuff and not as difficult as it is made out to be. You basically will have a guaranteed 20% with the research essay and then the exam is questions on documents and three essays, you choose one from four within each of your topics.

Business is all learning and the course is huge but it's easy if you have a business head and enjoy the news and current affairs. A lot of it is common sense too but you have to include key words and simply learn the material or you won't do well. There's room for a lot of waffle but you have to know the chapters to get an A.

If you have any specific questions regarding either, I'll try my best to answer them.

I do both and I'm in 6th year.

History is interesting once you get past the Irish stuff and not as difficult as it is made out to be. You basically will have a guaranteed 20% with the research essay and then the exam is questions on documents and three essays, you choose one from four within each of your topics.

Business is all learning and the course is huge but it's easy if you have a business head and enjoy the news and current affairs. A lot of it is common sense too but you have to include key words and simply learn the material or you won't do well. There's room for a lot of waffle but you have to know the chapters to get an A.

If you have any specific questions regarding either, I'll try my best to answer them.

Thanks so much I really appreciate it :)
    I did business for my Junior Cert and got a B because I hated the accounting part! Would I be at much of an advantage having done it for my Junior Cert or is the course really different?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Val97 wrote: »
    Thanks so much I really appreciate it :)
    I did business for my Junior Cert and got a B because I hated the accounting part! Would I be at much of an advantage having done it for my Junior Cert or is the course really different?

Yes it's a fairly significant advantage. I chose business because I figured it'd be like a more detailed JC business without the accounting and boring economics and I was right! You go into more detail on entrepreneurs, sole traders etc and some stuff stays the same. You still need to know your ratios. This makes some of the chapters a breeze, especially if the whole class has done business before.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭marko747

Hey :) I do history, I find it really interesting! And it's a lot more modern than the Junior Cert Courae, it's so diverse , from Mussolini to Civil Rights, and from Arthur Griffith to Marylin Monroe, it's so diverse. Have never done buisness, but friends have said it's very hard, all the terms and then the money side of it :) Best advice, get the books, look at Exam Papers on S.E.C, look at the course, talk to teachers/friends. If your not liking Chemistry, I'd defintely advise you change, best of luck though, and pm me if you want to know any more about Leaving Cert History, sorry can't be more help with the Buisness ;)

• Advertisement

marko747 wrote: »
    Hey :) I do history, I find it really interesting! And it's a lot more modern than the Junior Cert Courae, it's so diverse , from Mussolini to Civil Rights, and from Arthur Griffith to Marylin Monroe, it's so diverse. Have never done buisness, but friends have said it's very hard, all the terms and then the money side of it :) Best advice, get the books, look at Exam Papers on S.E.C, look at the course, talk to teachers/friends. If your not liking Chemistry, I'd defintely advise you change, best of luck though, and pm me if you want to know any more about Leaving Cert History, sorry can't be more help with the Buisness ;)

Hi thanks for replying :) I looked at both exam papers today and decided I am changing to business, here's hoping I don't regret it ahah! Thank you though, best of luck to you too :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Duplicate threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭marko747

Val97 wrote: »
    Hi thanks for replying :) I looked at both exam papers today and decided I am changing to business, here's hoping I don't regret it ahah! Thank you though, best of luck to you too :D

Hopefully you won't, Enjoy! And thanks :)

Advertisement