Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galaxy S4 or S5 or other?

Options
  • 22-09-2014 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this question is asked a lot.
    I want to get a new smartphone to replace S2 which was a great phone. (I am with vodafone)
    S4 is 50eur for 24 month contract at 35eur p/m.
    S5 is 150eur at 35eur p/m with 24 month contract as well.
    Which would you go for?
    Is the S5 too big in a pocket especially with a full protective cover?
    Also note you can get SkySports 1 and 2 for just 5eur extra per month.

Thoughts?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Size-wise it depends entirely on you. Your best bet is to find someone with the phone and try it out. I have the Note 3, which is one of the biggest phones in the world and I love it. It took just a little bit of getting used to, but now normal phones seem small and pokey.

Most people with my phone feel a bit like this guy:

EpHPMIn.jpg

Just gotta try it. There's very little size difference between the 4 and 5, by the way.

As for the difference between the S4 and the S5, as I understand it, it is minimal. There was a massive difference from 2->3, and a small change from 3->4, but 4->5 is fairly negligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

My main thing is to have a reliable phone with good battery. Easy to use. Simple good camera. Easy to scroll in one hand.
    Basically only difference is 100eur.
    Also even though the phones are 4g the contract doesn't allow it. Not in 4g area anyway.
    Can you tell me. Calls to landlines - are they included in your calls to other networks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Apologies if this question is asked a lot. I want to get a new smartphone to replace S2 which was a great phone. (I am with vodafone) S4 is 50eur for 24 month contract at 35eur p/m. S5 is 150eur at 35eur p/m with 24 month contract as well. Which would you go for? Is the S5 too big in a pocket especially with a full protective cover? Also note you can get SkySports 1 and 2 for just 5eur extra per month.

Given that there is not a massive amount in difference between the 800 & 801 processors in my opinion, €100 seems a lot. Though the S4 did have its teething problems, S5 seems to have had a smoother introduction. But yeah it's an amazing price.

It looks like the underlying plan is 1GB data, no 4G included, nor mins/texts, so they are selling you really the 30 Day simply only Red Essential @€;30pm, so actually
      - the S4 phone costs you only €170, €50 + €5 X 24 mths
      - the S5 phone costs you only €270, €150 + €5 X 24 mths
    Something must be wrong somewhere!! Sounds too good to be true!

Still, why go Samsung again, when you should try Sony Z3, LG G3, HTC M8, Motorola X+1, and that's not even including other serious contenders such as One plus One, Oppo 5, Xiaomi mi3, Huawei Ascend P7 to name only a few.

But I can understand inertia, especially when Samsung have a great amoled screen and camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I was very happy with the S2 and am happy to stay with that line. I have played with HTC One. Do not like the home button on top or the userability. The camera is also a bit of a pain.

The offer I got includes 100 minutes to any network including landlines (I was told!), unlimited texts to any network and 1gb of data. All for 35eur. I want to stay with vodafone as they have the best coverage.

I already get the above for 30eur p/m on my out of contract S2.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I have an S5. Very happy with it. I came from an S3 and don't find it too big. Got it for €49 from O2 on a €30 p/m contract with I think 150 mins and 150 txts and unlimited data on a 24 month deal. Plenty for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement