Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to squats for a while?

Options
  • 22-09-2014 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Back in March I picked up a fracture knee, since then I've done a load of rehab and training, had it back to full strength and was 100% happy with it, had to restart my squats but was up to 50kg @ 3x8 and with plenty to spare (just working on getting mobility back up first).

However, a week ago I played my first rugby match since the injury and the knee (particularly the tendon) has become sore, and I've lost most strength in it. That's no surprise, I was sort of expecting that after playing 60 minutes, and my physio lead me to believe that as I go back to playing it will give me trouble for a while, so no panic yet.

But I want to restart my 5x5 this week, and I wouldn't be happy putting any weight on it just yet in terms of squats. So was wondering if there are an alternatives I can do whilst recovering? It will probably take another week or so before I can squat below parallel with a heavy weight with good form.

I've heard box squats can be beneficial for people with bad knees? Are they worth doing? I've seen guys in senior rugby squads using them but I don't know what the benefit of them is.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

You've been off since March. Another week won't kill you.

Typically reverse lunges have less knee stress than squatting patterns.

Or just do stiff leg deadlifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Hanley wrote: »
    You've been off since March. Another week won't kill you.

Typically reverse lunges have less knee stress than squatting patterns.

Or just do stiff leg deadlifts.

Nah should've explained properly, I've been squatting fine over the summer, once I recovered from the injury, it's just since it's been sore after the match last week that I've taken time off, but I don't like being out of the gym, especially as I'm not doing any fitness stuff with the team whilst I'm recovering.

By stiff deadlifts do you mean Romanian deadlifts?

I just want something that'll keep working the quads without putting too much strain on the knee. Can't manage reverse lunges currently (when using the bad knee in reverse to balance).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

.ak wrote: »
    Nah should've explained properly, I've been squatting fine over the summer, once I recovered from the injury, it's just since it's been sore after the match last week that I've taken time off, but I don't like being out of the gym, especially as I'm not doing any fitness stuff with the team whilst I'm recovering.

By stiff deadlifts do you mean Romanian deadlifts?

I just want something that'll keep working the quads without putting too much strain on the knee. Can't manage reverse lunges currently (when using the bad knee in reverse to balance).

RDLs are different to stiff legged deadlifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

How's your stability? I neglected mine post ACL years ago.

What about single leg movements? King Deadlifts, Bulgarian Split Squats, Piston Squats.
    I did a period of these to improve my strength on each leg. It will boost your overall leg strength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

.ak wrote: »

Box squats to no lower than parallel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

ixus wrote: »
    How's your stability? I neglected mine post ACL years ago.

What about single leg movements? King Deadlifts, Bulgarian Split Squats, Piston Squats.
    I did a period of these to improve my strength on each leg. It will boost your overall leg strength.

Before I picked up this latest pain? Quite good. But that was part n parcel with the rehab, no rugby until I could knock out 30 pistol leg squats on the bad leg. Now I can't even manage one - it was getting better but then being a silly boy I went back to training at the club last night and am suffering from it now.

I reckon a good week of icing and rest will get it back to full strength, I just am terribly impatient. I'll drop the squats from my routine until it's pain free. Cycling is probably doing enough to keep my legs active anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

I should also have asked about your flexibility. Particularly your Quads.

I still have flexibility issues (because I don't work on it much). For example, I can't pull my foot back to my butt muscle with any ease. In fact it hurts because of lack of flexibility. As a result of this, my ACL knee hurts like crazy whenever I try/tried to play football. Knee also tightens up post squatting.

Physio has highlighted this issue to me a number of times. I'm not doing anything competitive, or playing anymore, so it's not a big concern. I'd be running the risk of doing ACL again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Lee_Torre

Barbell squats have sometimes given me a problem but I had no issue with dumbbell squats, just holding them to your sides. I do those for a while until my knees want to cooperate.

Advertisement