Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need wing repair advice please.

Options
  • 22-09-2014 11:20am

What's the best way to repair small holes in the foam wings of an Apprentice S 15e?

Hot water is supposed to be good for fixing dents?

The holes are small and not all the way through the wing.

I never flew a plane before and let it stall and it nose dived into the ground. I think my other mistake was not having enough altitude to allow correction. Of course I don't know anyone would could show me how to fly, so I have to learn the hard way.

Still in not giving up and am looking forward to this hobby!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Try asking marksmodels:

http://www.marksmodels.com/

or visit the shop in Hawkins Street (continuing on from Rosie Hackett Bridge)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Hot (nearly boiling) water is good for dents in EPO foam although it can leave an "alligator skin" type finish to the surface if you're unlucky which you then need to smooth off with a hot spoon or similar.

My favourite glue for filling gaps in EPO is gorilla glue mixed 50:50 with water. This foams up a lot and leaves a strong light foamy glue behind. You need to trim or sand the excess.

If it's only a break with no gaps, cyanoacrylate glue works well too.

civdef wrote: »
    Hot (nearly boiling) water is good for dents in EPO foam although it can leave an "alligator skin" type finish to the surface if you're unlucky which you then need to smooth off with a hot spoon or similar.

My favourite glue for filling gaps in EPO is gorilla glue mixed 50:50 with water. This foams up a lot and leaves a strong light foamy glue behind. You need to trim or sand the excess.

If it's only a break with no gaps, cyanoacrylate glue works well too.

No breaks in the wings just some small holes, the front end got a very hard landing and even squashed the lipo, it still works but I won't risk using it.

Parts are very, very hard to find, of course all the parts I need are out of stock everywhere I looked, Ireland, U.K and Germany.

I could order a part here and there but that's a major pain and will cost a lot more with shipping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Try builders providers for repairing the same type of material,? Civdev's suggestion is well worth considering.

Advertisement