Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blood Brothers in the Grand Canal Theatre - offers?

Options
  • 21-09-2014 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭

Anyone know of any offers or discounts for this? I've seen it many times and would like to see Rebecca Storm in the lead role. But €55 + €6.50 "service charge" is too expensive.
    I used to be able to see it in the west end for £20, best available seats bought on the day of performance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

No sign of any offers and would be surprised if there were any tbh, this show used to sell out in the Gaiety for weeks on end.

However you're not missing anything, Rebecca Storm is past it. Saw it in the Gaiety for the anniversary revival a few years ago and she was past it then. I'd seen her play the role before and she was grand but time takes its toll. Having seen her in Hello Dolly in the NCH last year, it's definitely time she retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

Thanks athtrasna, might give her a miss then!

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Agree with athtrasna, some performers just don't know when to quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

I was really looking forward to seeing this, but when I heard that Rebecca Storm was reprising the role, it really put me too. I haven't bought tickets, and don't actually think I will now. Pity.

I've seen the current Mrs Johnstone, Maureen Nolan playing the role recently and she's horrendous. Completely washed out, can't sing anymore, just shouts, her acting is really wooden and she looks bored. The set is cheap and tacky, but when you get a really good Mrs J. that doesn't matter anymore. With a bad Mrs J. it becomes very apparent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I saw this today.
    Absolutely magical performance.
    This was my 4th time seeing it, the 3rd with Rebecca Storm as Mrs.J -she was amazing.
    Sean Jones as Mickey stood out for me-just breathtakingly brilliant.

The theatre was packed & everyone seemed to enjoy it.
    Would definitely recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭scudodave

Was at the Show on Monday Night, last time I saw Blood Brothers was 20+ years ago.
    I have to say it was fab,Cast, Sets, Music, Rebecca and Venue all first class.
    Rebecca's singing may not have been quite as good as 20+ years ago but then neither is my hearing. Instant standing ovation and four maybe five curtain calls.
    No way could I afford full price tickets, BGE rewards all tickets Monday/Tuesday 20 euro.
    (4X20=80 +10 handling fee, 90 euro for 4 seats.

You really thought the sets were fab? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Went to this last night. Bear in mind I am definitely not a fan of musicals. In fact the only other musical I have been to was this in the Olympia in the 90s.

Don't think Rebecca Storm is past it all to be honest. Her voice seemed in great form last night. Have to agree with The Princess Bride's post though - the guy playing Mickey was really good - great acting and by far the highlight of the performance.

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Advertisement