Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving work with no new job lined up -drawing stamps

Options
  • 21-09-2014 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, I'd rather go anonymous for this one to avoid people identifying me.

I have being working with the same company for the last 7 years and the same industry for over 10 years all being continuous employment throughout this time with no breaks in it. I took the first job over 10 years back after leaving college. Prior to this the only work history I have is working in a filling station part-time for much of the time I was attending college although I packed that in, in the final year of college when doing my degree.

In my current job I have come to the point where I need to just pack it in for the sake of my health and sanity. I'm working silly hours - around the clock - 8 in the morning to as late as 9 in the evening most nights. Even at that I'm not making much progress there on many things and my current manager is foisting things onto me that seem above me. A lot of this is due to the nature of the work changing progressively over the last number of years too. I've come to the stage where I just want to pack it in and move on - take stock of things and maybe even consider moving away from that industry altogether, doing a course etc. - not really sure. Just want to make it clear I'm not a quitter and wont throw the towel in easily. I've tried to get through things as best I could telling myself things will get better for the last period of time - probably a year if I'm honest, but that is just not happening - things are possibly getting worse if any - no light at the end of the tunnel. I dont see how talking to my manager would be of any benefit as he is a very demanding person and its commonly agreed among many workers that he doesn't have much in the way of people skills - there you go, thats the sort of place I'm working in. It has already taken a toll on my physical health and if I'm honest on my mental health and well being to a certain extent and relationships etc.

My question is that if I leave work would I be able to draw on my stamps - the fact is I'm not being sacked or made redundant. I don't want to slate the place altogether when I'm leaving and asked for a reason or leave on the sick etc - anything really that would impact on me getting a reference. Also, I have considerable savings as I plan to buy a house so dont think I'd qualify for sick payments. If anyone could provide input and give me pointers I would be appreciated.

If any other details are required I will supply as best I can - thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

You may be disqualified for a certain period, I think it is up to 9 weeks. Thereafter you will be able to get non means tested Job Seekers Benefit for 9 months (€188 p.w). After this period, if you are still unemployed you will have to move to a means tested payment, which may be an issue with your savings.

Advertisement