Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Points based staking system in horse racing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

I understand what he means on the site , it wont help you back winners it will just help you keep better track of your profit/loss.

Most tipsters like hugh taylor will show his profit/loss based on similar systems. Dont be afraid to ask questions here as most people will be happy to answer your questions

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭beya2009

I understand what he means on the site , it wont help you back winners it will just help you keep better track of your profit/loss.

Most tipsters like hugh taylor will show his profit/loss based on similar systems. Dont be afraid to ask questions here as most people will be happy to answer your questions

Oh okay. What really confuses me about that site is that his table is all based on profits but what if you have a poor month and say lose 60% of your starting balance? Also the actual points system confuses me. I will put up an example so I can better describe what I mean.

So for example say my budget to start this for the month is €2, 100 and just to keep it simple say I use a 1 point system where 1pt = €75 and I'm using level staking.

Just as an example say in the first month my returns are:

Month 1: Budget: €2, 100 - €75 per stake

Week 1: €712.50 – 2 points
    Week 2: €356.25 – 1 point
    Week 3: €618.75 – 3 points
    Week 4: €1, 312.50 – 5 points

Total Points: 11 (€75 x 11 = €825 profit)
    Total Return: €3, 000
    Total Profit: €825

This is where I get confused; surely my total return is €3, 000 and profit should therefore be €900? But using the points strategy by multiplying €75 by 11pts that totals: €825. That bit confuses me.

Surely for the next month I would be starting out with an opening balance of €3, 000 if I wanted to all all profit to next month and going by the amount of stakes I put I can increase my price per stake accordingly?

Also I am only adding points when the horse actually wins....if the horse is a non runner where my stake is returned I don't add that as a point but obviously add the stake returned in my total returns....is that correct?

Any help on this would be much appreciated. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

beya2009 wrote: »
    Oh okay. What really confuses me about that site is that his table is all based on profits but what if you have a poor month and say lose 60% of your starting balance? Also the actual points system confuses me. I will put up an example so I can better describe what I mean.

If you lose 60% of your investment then your point will be substantially less if you use a point as a proportion of your stake. I prefer level stakes (ie 25e a point for every bet), a 25/1 winner should be the same whether you're in a good run or a bad run. Only reason I would use this system would be if I was genuinely afraid of losing my entire betting bank and had to preserve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

You want to lose money and pay someone for advice at the same time. Don't do it.
    Talking about a points system makes it sound technical and scientific. Rubbish.

• Advertisement

diomed wrote: »
    You want to lose money and pay someone for advice at the same time. Don't do it.
    Talking about a points system makes it sound technical and scientific. Rubbish.

Well it's interesting as all the pros seem to use the points system so i'd love to understand it more. I've been using Hugh Taylors and Gary O'Brien's tips the last 3 weeks casually and i'm doing good so far. Hugh Taylors tip expose @ 18/1 with betvictor won! I got it at 16/1 though.

btw is there any experts here that use the square root staking system? Is there anyway of placing
    simultaneous wagers using the square root staking system? Would be great if there is so a few horse racing bets can all be placed early in the mornings in order to get the best odds for them. I know with other staking plans like the kelly system you can but that one is really complex and I like the square root system. I found out that the level stakes system is very popular but brutal when going a on a long losing run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

The first system I use is I do my own research, lots of it. And I research stuff that most people ignore - pedigrees.
    My other system is I increase my bet when the price is big.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Square root staking system sounds like something a greasy salesman would pitch to you.

That website you linked and the example given in particular are clearly aimed at vulnerable and naive people. e19000 profit in a few months with e1000 investment? Complete rubbish

Gregk961 wrote: »
    Square root staking system sounds like something a greasy salesman would pitch to you.

That website you linked and the example given in particular are clearly aimed at vulnerable and naive people. e19000 profit in a few months with e1000 investment? Complete rubbish

lol yeah I was skeptical as well as life can't be that easy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement