Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ordinary french

Options
  • 21-09-2014 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

hi, I just started 5 th year and i'm taking french. I havent done anything since my junior cert. I got a C at higher level for my junior cert but it took a lot of effort and extra study and a lot of learning off phrases for my written. I didnt do any french last year in ty so I have forgot most of it. I was wondering if I did ordinary french this year (I already have 6 hl subjects) would it be very hard? My teacher is not very good. she just goes through the book and reads from it without really teacheing us anything. so i'd be probably trying to learn everything for ol by myself.

Do I need much grammar (this is prob my weakest section) for ol?

whats the difference in the oral (my spoken french is actually quite good but i often find it hard to rote learn phrases in french) between hl and ol?

If I did good on my reading and writing sections, would i be more than likely able to get a D grade? all i want is a pass in the subject as I won't be using it for points, just to get into college.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭whoopsadaisy

OL French is beautiful. Really, it's the nicest subject you could possibly do OL in for the Leaving Cert. It'll be such a weight off your shoulders if you drop especally if you already have 6 HL subjects.

The oral is the exact same for OL and HL French - they don't know your level before you go in so it's all judged at a common level, it's 25% of marks in the LC for both levels.

The grammar isn't too bad. There isn't much focus on anything other than past, present and future. The comprehensions are easy to understand and the written section doesn't require much writing (there is a fill in the blanks question, a postcard, or a letter afaik). It's almost like a continuation of the Junior Cert, it doesn't really get any harder if you sat it at HL.

I did all HL subjects last year and the best decision I made was dropping French! Honestly it's a really easy subject at OL, have a look at the exam papers and see for yourself.

Advertisement