Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wigmore Hall- shocking images

Options
  • 21-09-2014 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭

Pictures have emerged from an animal rights group of Wigmore Hall being shot after breaking his leg during St Leger day at Doncaster. We all know thats what happens when they erect the screens but to see the images is a bit shocking. How someone got in close to it is another issue.

WARNING- the article contains images that some may find upsetting
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/shocking-picture-shows-racehorse-champion-4290791

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Pictures have emerged from an animal rights group of Wigmore Hall being shot after breaking his leg during St Leger day at Doncaster. We all know thats what happens when they erect the screens but to see the images is a bit shocking. How someone got in close to it is another issue.

WARNING- the article contains images that some may find upsetting
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/shocking-picture-shows-racehorse-champion-4290791

Not as shocking as I thought they might be when I heard about it. It's par for the course is it not? I'm sure the video, if there was one, would be harder to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,266 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Well, that showed exactly what I knew it showed, and looked exactly like what I imagined it would look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Some really great comments on The Mirror's link on Facebook . "Dey should shoot d ****er who shot d horse" easily being my favorite. The ignorance of the general public is overwhelming. The worst thing is people are giving credit to the sensationalist story. Probably written by a journalist (I use that term loosely) who knows more about fashion that wouldn't know what a gelding is.

Reading that paper and expecting a somewhat factual or a well argued point on the matter would be like a blind person describing what a painting looks like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭unitedrover

Nulty wrote: »
    Not as shocking as I thought they might be when I heard about it. It's par for the course is it not? I'm sure the video, if there was one, would be harder to watch.

True. A video would have shown him stumbling and in pain- things the pictures don't really pick up. At least the horse was put out of his suffering quickly anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Really low from the Mirror, I don't know what they're trying to achieve by publishing those images as we all know what the reality is, regardless of how grim it may be. This won't hurt racing in any way so it's just fcuking pointless journalism.

Even more bizarre is that the Mirror put a fair bit into their racing analysis so you think they would know better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭unitedrover

Really low from the Mirror, I don't know what they're trying to achieve by publishing those images as we all know what the reality is, regardless of how grim it may be. This won't hurt racing in any way so it's just fcuking pointless journalism.

Even more bizarre is that the Mirror put a fair bit into their racing analysis so you think they would know better.

They're just latching onto the anti racing brigade, who are already turning the National into a 4 mile hurdle race. This story will just add fuel to the fire for these groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Some really great comments on The Mirror's link on Facebook . "Dey should shoot d ****er who shot d horse" easily being my favorite. The ignorance of the general public is overwhelming. The worst thing is people are giving credit to the sensationalist story. Probably written by a journalist (I use that term loosely) who knows more about fashion that wouldn't know what a gelding is.

Reading that paper and expecting a somewhat factual or a well argued point on the matter would be like a blind person describing what a painting looks like

Yep, in relation to this, and many many other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

p Very confusing article, the writer didnt seem to know what side of the fence he was on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

True. A video would have shown him stumbling and in pain- things the pictures don't really pick up. At least the horse was put out of his suffering quickly anyway.

No a video would nott have shown him 'stumbling and in pain'. A video would have shown him being shot and dropping to the ground almost immediately with some residual nerve stimuli causing the hind legs to twitch.

Why these animal rights groups don't focus on complaining about real animal suffering is beyond me. For instance the foal that was set alight in Galway, if I remember correctly or the video of the kitten being set alight that was posted on facebook this week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Yep, it's hard to take the battery reared chicken munching brigade seriously when they start moaning about the infinitely better position that racehorses find themselves in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIVE2_THREE

Freedom of the press is a beautiful thing. We live in a world where we can go to youtube and see the very moment where JFK was shot in the head but people are outraged at images of a horse being put down ? COM ON. at some point we have to live with death just as much as we live with life.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

The ignorance is not confined to the general public, or the anti-racing brigade.

The article was penned by some tool described as the Chief Investigative Reporter. In the course of the piece he says that three quarters of fatalities happen during national hunt races including hurdles and steeplechases "where horses and their riders jump obstacles such as hedges and ditches".

If the writer doesn't bother to learn about the subject matter of his article, there is little point in the racing industry engaging with his employer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

The ignorance of the general public is overwhelming.
    Yes. On my first trip to Epsom a horse (Herecomestheknight) broke a leg in the first race. I commented that he would be put down. Punters beside me were shocked. They thought he would go to the horse hospital. The horse had the screens around, and the horse "ambulance" waiting.
    [I backed the winner, Granny's Pet]
    The general public also think that horses go to retirement homes to spend the rest of their days grazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

fair cop in fairness, as a journalist they have a right to write about it

happens all the time and in some ways we as racing fans can justify it sometimes we cant. just wish they wrote an unbiast article

in some cases we should hold certain courses accountable for horses injuries/deaths and maybe articles like this (id prefer better written ones to be honest) may put some pressure on a few certain courses to water or take better care for horses welfare. Most do to be fair.
    I personnaly dont have a problem with the picture as its the truth

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

It's the type of sensationalist reporting that manages to rile people up and then you get the muppets jumping on the bandwagon calling for racing to be banned! Funnily enough the "article" mentions showjumping, too, while completely ignoring eventing.

In fairness, a quick end with a humane killer is far kinder than leaving any animal in pain for ages. Unfortunately an awful lot of people don't understand this, and think that they should be brought to horsey hospital to have the break healed. Heck, there are a huge number of people out there who think animals should be kept alive for years and years, despite having severe medical conditions or arthritis - they're even performing chemotherapy on dogs now!

What's shown in those photos is pretty accurate, though it does make for sad viewing - watching any animal being put down is unpleasant, even though it's usually the best thing for them.

Given that the screens are normally put up on the 'stand side' of an incident, I'd love to know who took the photos/video and how they managed to be where they were on the racecourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭chipsdave

The Chat Show hosts simply adore these type of situations

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 Hidden Cyclone

Kevin Blake's latest Irish Field blog addresses this. Decent read, but I can't link URLs until I hit 50 posts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

What a muppet, it is more humane to put a horse under anesthetic and the stress involved of coming out of it and a high chance of serious injury or having an animal that lives to run in a box with a cast on for a year or more with the risk of arthritis or serious infection setting in.

Eventing and piebalds tied to a railing or horses left starving in a field are treated better of course, ffs

I agree that in national hunt the ground should not be firmer than good, it give the animal groups more ammo and if your horse wants quicker than good then you should be running it on the flat imo.

It looked and sounded firmer than good at Cheltenham and there were a few lost including Our Conor :(

Advertisement