Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Quitting

Options
  • 21-09-2014 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, going anonymous just in case..

Just looking for a bit of advice from people who might have had similar experiences. Basically I'm working for quite a big company, plenty of work, job security etc but I'm working long, tough shifts coupled with extremely long commutes so finding my quality of life to be very poor with no real improvements or changes in sight. I don't particularly like the work though I am getting some good experience which will give me more options in the future

I've been planning an escape for a while now which involves an extended holiday visiting a couple of friends in Thailand and Australia before coming back to Ireland to find work. The main problem is that I know my boss personally and essentially wouldn't have gotten the job but for that fact. Im perfectly qualified for the role but feel I 'owe him' to an extent and he's put a lot of time and effort into training me up. I've only been with the company for 18 months so to suddenly get up and go just seems very awkward and I'm not sure how to approach it. Also my boss is based in our central office which I very rarely visit so I'd likely be telling him over the phone,

Grateful for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Was in a fairly similar position recently, work wise it sounds basically the exact same, though I wasn't friends with the boss before hand.

You have to do what's best for yourself. If you're not happy then speak to the boss and explain it to him, you can't stay with the company purely out of some sense of loyalty if you're not happy. If the company is professional then they'll deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭DainBramage

just go for it. After 18 months you have made a good stab at it and ultimately decided its not for you. Your boss should be understanding of this, its not like your quitting after a few weeks. Be civil, call at a time of day hes likely to be less busy.
    I left a job i was unhappy in after 11 months and was the best decision I've made ,work-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,765 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Just tell the boss that you're going travelling for an undetermined period, and to be fair to him you want to resign not ask for long term leave.

If you're young enough, he'll be expecting that if you have any gumption you'll go travelling sooner or later.

Advertisement