Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm looking for an Android phone for under €150 ...

Options
  • 20-09-2014 7:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy Express, which is on its last legs. I'm 13 months into a two-year contract with Vodafone, which includes 4G, and it would be too expensive to change to a cheaper contract (€100 - not worth it.)

So I'm looking for a replacement phone. It would be nice if it had 4G, since I'm paying for it anyways, but definitely not essential. I'd like to stick with Android, and have a preference for Samsung, but would consider others. I only really use my phone for browsing Boards and Facebook ... also I use the camera a lot, but to be honest I'd say even the cameras on the cheaper phones would be fine for me. Maximum budget is €150, but I'd like to spend less if possible.

I was looking at these two.

HTC Desire 310 (hopefully not in that colour!) €129.99

Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini €149.99

Any opinions on these? Open to suggestions of other phones too! Especially cheaper ones.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭touts

The 2013 Moto G seems to get good reviews and with the 2014 version launched the 2013 model will be on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Either stretch to the moto G first gen or drop android and go for a WP8 Lumia 630.

I love android, but it runs like a cow on low end hardware. This is where windows phone excels, its app store is weak but its very very responsive on cheap hardware. Itll do browsing and facebook much better than the two you've picked out.

Moto G is a bargain if you can afford a few bob extra, it'd be worth it to get a proper handset. You wont get 4G at less than 200(again Moto G, but the 2014 4G edition).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

ED E wrote: »
    Either stretch to the moto G first gen or drop android and go for a WP8 Lumia 630.

I love android, but it runs like a cow on low end hardware. This is where windows phone excels, its app store is weak but its very very responsive on cheap hardware. Itll do browsing and facebook much better than the two you've picked out.

Moto G is a bargain if you can afford a few bob extra, it'd be worth it to get a proper handset. You wont get 4G at less than 200(again Moto G, but the 2014 4G edition).

I dunno Ed....there are many high spec Android available from China....

Just one, for €158 with a guarantee of vat and customs refund, and free shipping:

http://www.hongkongeek.com/en/android-smartphones/5539-chinese-smartphone-jiayu-g4s-octa-core-2gb16gb.html

Octo core, 4.7" IPS corning glass screen, 2 GB RAM, 16GB ROM, good front/back cameras, 3000Ah Battery, etc, etc

IMO, worth looking at, and can be got cheaper if you are prepared to risk customs.

Advertisement