Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career Choice

Options
  • 19-09-2014 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

In leaving cert and unable to decide between doing general nursing and primary teaching in college, opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

Teacher. Has this hepled?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

It's your decision at the end of the day, we can't tell you what career would suit you, teaching for one mightn't suit another, that is something that you have to make your own mind up about. We can give advice, but that's it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Why not teach nursing?

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

Ive just gone into first year primary teaching, havent started lectures yet so I dont know how much help ill be just yet but if you have any questions shoot them at me

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Windorah

Well what attracts u to both? Why do u want to do nursing and why do u want to do teaching?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No jobs in either. Better chances of employment abroad with nursing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Ireland produces a lot of nursing graduates.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

Try to get 2 days work experience in a primary during your mid term. Lifestyle in teaching is better especially for girls who like to be off when their children are off. Long holidays and pay is ok.

Nursing is probably more intense and in certain areas of hospital much more demanding and stressful.

Are you a high energy person / physically strong with good endurance?

Good Communication is a must for both

I did a little bit of subbing in primary and I found that primary teachers were/are a little gentile and more mannerly compared to my secondary colleagues so my conclusions are it takes a certain kind of person!!!

Nursing is probably more demanding and while routine you need to be very good timekeeper / record keeper and of course you are a member of a team...

They are both social careers and a social person would do well in either (social person as defined by john holland phd / professor of occupational psychology and not a socialite)

Primary is shorter hours but don't fooled you will be chipping away at home or after school....

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LCK97

Lara_15 wrote: »
    Ive just gone into first year primary teaching, havent started lectures yet so I dont know how much help ill be just yet but if you have any questions shoot them at me
    What college are you in?
    DK man wrote: »
    Try to get 2 days work experience in a primary during your mid term. Lifestyle in teaching is better especially for girls who like to be off when their children are off. Long holidays and pay is ok.

Nursing is probably more intense and in certain areas of hospital much more demanding and stressful.

Are you a high energy person / physically strong with good endurance?

Good Communication is a must for both

I did a little bit of subbing in primary and I found that primary teachers were/are a little gentile and more mannerly compared to my secondary colleagues so my conclusions are it takes a certain kind of person!!!

Nursing is probably more demanding and while routine you need to be very good timekeeper / record keeper and of course you are a member of a team...

They are both social careers and a social person would do well in either (social person as defined by john holland phd / professor of occupational psychology and not a socialite)

Primary is shorter hours but don't fooled you will be chipping away at home or after school....

Best of luck
    Thanks very much :)
    Windorah wrote: »
    Well what attracts u to both? Why do u want to do nursing and why do u want to do teaching?

Love helping people and love working with children, I know I'd probably love teaching but would love the buzz of nursing and the rewarding aspects of both jobs

Advertisement